Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hurricane Sally got me.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hurricane Sally got me.
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020 12:33 
Skipper

It looks like the HUGE catamaran that was tied up to my dock broke the dock and caused me to hit the rocks. I'm still tied to the damaged finger pier.

Attachment:
IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg [ 333.7 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
1600275178780.jpg

1600275178780.jpg [ 25.75 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hurricane Sally got me.
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020 15:28 
Skipper

Oh, man. That truly sucks. Our condolences. I never know what to say when something like this happens other than a word that starts with 'f.'

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2020 21:30 
Skipper

Just had a thought. I think my rudder is waterlogged. Crying or Very sad

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2020 10:35 
Skipper

Looks like it's airbound to me. At least you got a sense of humor with the tragedy. How's the motor & gear?

Ooooo. The rudderstock that low means the steering gear and surround fiberglass are probably heavily damaged and the pintle bolts have torn through.

Shit. But THERE is the "delrin washer" that goes between the rudder and the hull for those that don't have one.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2020 19:15 
Skipper

The rudder flaps? that go to the sides of the rudder are on opposite sides of a rock so I haven't rotated the rudder shaft. The prop shaft is straight and freewheeling. The bow pulpit is broken. Both bow chocks are missing and the port dock line caused the bow pulpit to break free. There is a 9X9" patch of gelcoat missing on the port side above the waterline. But the underlaying roving is not broken.

There is no water in the boat or even the bilge. So I am optimistic that we are going to repair her.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2020 21:23 
Rail Meat

So sorry to hear Sally got you. We are at Yacht Harbor and and made it thru with just a broken dinghy davit.(feeling very lucky but sad for all the broken boats) It looks like it’s going to be a mess around here for a while. Just thought I would let you know that I heard they were trying reopen Patti’s shipyard.
Glad your going to fix yours I think they are worth saving. Good luck!

Hull #346 IMAGINE
Gulf Breeze,FL

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2020 21:23 
Skipper

It's been an "interesting" couple of days. "May you live in interesting times."

We got her picked up and moved. Where we are at has a full service yard so we are not far from the guys who have done and will do the work on her. The missing gelcoat on the port quarter has become a hole. Tartan needs 4 weeks to fabricate a new rudder and skeg and as soon as insurance gives the OK, we are ordering them.

I removed all the gear from the cockpit locker and lazerette so the work crew could get to the rudder and the back side of the hole. While I was getting the things that fell off the lazerette shelf, I found a dock cleat with bolts in the bilge. So that's the hole but Impetuous won the arm wrestling contest and ripped the cleat out of the dock.

And you might have seen the brochure that says she weighs 17000 lbs loaded for cruising. The crane operator says Impetuous weighs 20,000 lbs. And that was with the port water tank and holding tank empty.

Anyway, the Admiral and I were really concerned about how much it is costing to repair the damages. 5K for the rudder and skeg, 9K to repaint the entire hull after repairs because we can't match the current color and another 2.5K to redo the boot stripe where she beat up the floating dock. Another 10K to R and R the rudder, patch the holes and retab the bulkhead forward of the nav station. And pretty soon, you're talking about real money. Way too much real money. But a conversation with the insurance appraiser calmed the fears and we are mostly sure we will be sailing her again.

We are going to take this opportunity to pull the chainplates out and inspect and replace on our dime. And work on any issues because of water intrusion in the chainplate areas. The stays were replaced in March 2014 but we are going to get them inspected anyway. We think the chainplates are original so.....

And there are a couple of other things we've been putting off because we went sailing instead. So those are going to get fixed soon. And luckily, we have a place to crash after a day's work that is in walking distance of the boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2020 15:43 
Skipper

More good news from the yard yesterday. He sent me the estimate for the repairs. It's less than the "Agreed Hull Value" before the insurance depreciates anything. Now I can get back to seriously planning the 12V rewiring project. Current cost estimates for the electric project are $900 for parts, $200 for hospital bills Chuckle and untold dollars for lawyers if the Admiral and I hit a jam. Frustrating Bow Yes, Dear!

But it's a project that is long overdue on this boat. And I want to do it myself so that I know exactly where all the wires run. And to which breaker. I'm pretty sure that the autopilot power supply has at least three different sections of wire going to it and not in the stern electrical tubing.

P.S. She's not a tyrant and she has authorized the project.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2020 19:54 
Skipper

The Latest News:

Due to the $6700 salvage with the crane to pick Impetuous off the shore, we have gone over our Agreed Hull Value and Impetuous is now a Constructive Total Loss.

Processing the information is difficult. We have informed the insurance and salvage companies that we are going to buy her back provided they don't overprice her current value. We have a figure in mind for our upper end and we are hopeful of continuing to own Impetuous in the future.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2020 20:25 
Skipper

The last installment of Impetuous VS Sally.

So BoatUS/Geico informed us that Impetuous was a Constructive Total Loss. Cooper Salvage would contact us about making sure we had everything on the boat. We told Cooper Salvage that we would like to repurchase the boat. Geico Cat Team tells us that as soon as the proof of loss paper arrives at their location, we will no longer have insurance for the boat. Geico Insurance team tells us they will not even give us liability insurance so we can keep the boat in the repair yard and maybe but not likely they will insure us after the repairs. So we get in the car for the 700 mile trip to the boat trying to purchase insurance for the boat on a Saturday. The Admiral spends 4 hours on the phone with no luck and actually dismal outlook according to the insurance companies we spoke to.

On Sunday, we didn't even try to call anyone. We went over to the boat and renewed the Damp-Rid buckets and looked at all the stuff we had to remove from the boat and all the stuff we have in the storage rental that has to go back on the boat. We were pretty depressed because without insurance we would have to let the boat go.

Monday, we talked to the marina for ideas about insurance. It turns out that one the the owners in the marina worked for an insurance agency. And that agency covers our cars and house. We call the office and they say "Yes, we can help." 2:30 that afternoon, we signed papers for $15,000 more FULL coverage, not just liability. The price? $70 less than Geico for a year. And a $500 deductible, storm or no storm. That includes the wreck removal and fuel spill cleanup clause.

A couple of days later, we get an email from the underwriters. It seems they made a mistake. The premium we paid included a gasoline inboard motor. The new yearly premium for a diesel inboard is $30 cheaper for a total of $100 less a year.

The Admiral has had car insurance with them since 1974 and we have had the house insurance since 2015. We think the claims record we have helped a lot.

FWIW: Our insurance is State Farm. Two different offices however. The house and cars are insured through the Sattler, TX office and the boat is insured through the Pensacola, FL office.

So we ARE keeping the boat and Geico just lost a customer.

Disclaimer: Your mileage will vary.

Profile Email