Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Rail Mounted LP setup?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rail Mounted LP setup?
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020 10:12 
Skipper

I can't see cruising without a 20# tank. The one I've got is in a nice container in the stbd locker, drained overboard, sealed, but way to friggin' small at 11#. Defender has a sealed LP tank holder on sale and the extension hoses aren't too pricey. Who has done what to mount such a fiberglass holder to the pushpit rail? I hate to do it, but that's life. I'd also grab the grill pigtail for quick switch if desired. I just have so many projects going (as well as fixing up an old farmhouse to sell) that re-inventing the wheel is too time consuming.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Rail Mounted LP setup?
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020 13:19 
Skipper

If it were me, I would probably buy one or two extra 11lb tanks and find a place to store them. They will probably be easier to stow "nicely" than one 20lb tank. Also, that way you don't have to go through any issues with the hookup. Just swap out the empties.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020 15:56 
Skipper

O.K. I'll reconsider. Two more 11#'s would work for me.

Edit: looked up 10# tanks. Half the price each of a new 20# locker. No savings.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2020 19:30 
Skipper

If the cost is close then you go with the most pleasing solution. To me, it is easier to make 2 10-11lb tanks inconspicuous than it is to try and make a 20lb tank locker fit somewhere. You can cover the tanks with those soft fender covers and stow them on deck. Then you only need the one locker for “dispensing” the fuel. Just my opinion though. Truth is that I use one 11lb tank a season (maybe 2 if I’m lucky). Obviously, living aboard is going to be different.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020 09:42 
Skipper

You have me thinking again. I need to google how to dispense LP from a 20# tank into a 10# tank. At least that way I can grab a 20 and refill when the time comes. Exchanging 10#ers ain't going to happen. Maybe a 10#er on the rail for the grill . . . shit, I need to get the smallest Weber grill - always do that with boats. The magma things just aren't great. I've got a . . . what's the long shaped stainless grill? I have one of those too. The Weber is WAY better. Bungee the lid down and you're good to go.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2020 19:58 
Skipper

Is it your experience that finding propane refill stations is difficult? With 3 10-11lb tanks on the boat, you start looking when you switch out to the last tank. That should give you enough time to find a station? If you are going to depend on exchanging, why deal with the settee locker at all?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020 07:17 
Skipper

There's a single fillup station on STT-STJ, for example, and it's a pain to get to. Taxi drivers aren't keen on lugging the tank around. SXM same idea. I just anticipate a pain in the ass, and if the tanks don't look new, they want to sell you another one or they just won't fill it. And 10#ers aren't common. Everything is 20# for exchange.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020 08:45 
Skipper

There you have it then. Why mess with the 10-11lb tank in the locker? If you can't get 2 or 3 filled, you can't get 1 filled either. You are not going to fill a 10lb tank from a 20lb tank (I am pretty sure) so maybe claim that space for something else?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2020 09:05 
Skipper

I saw on u-tube awhile back someone refilling the little 1# or whatever they are from a 20#, so I assumed it could be done somehow. It was an RV whatever they call their presentations.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2020 07:25 
Skipper

While it says 11lb on the side of the 9" x 12" cylinder, I think it's a 5# tank. That's the only thing that size or smaller in Defender. The 10# tank is 16.5" tall. The LP locker would only accommodate a 12" high tank, so I have to get alternative. I have to go with the most common size available. 20# always went a good long while. I guess I'm back to contemplating rail mount.

Profile Email