Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Video pulling out Westerbeke and Yanmar installation

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 16:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Video pulling out Westerbeke and Yanmar installation
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020 06:35 
Skipper

Had the opportunity to upgrade to a new engine. Install went great! We got the Yanmar 3jh40. Let me know if you have any questions on the process. We had it professionally installed, but we were on the boat helping for all steps. https://youtu.be/FvTZyN9k1S0

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Video pulling out Westerbeke and Yanmar installation
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020 12:39 
Skipper

Watched that early this morning. Whisper. Nice lineup. No vibration. Did it a couple times and was always happy with the result. Change/grease your raw water impeller as directed, always double check that "the water's on" before firing up. I always turnt it off when I left the boat, and got distracted leaving for St. Croix once and didn't turn it on. Engine was O.K., but it ate the impeller and moved bits of it to places within that were very difficult to get at.

Got some friends jumping to Grenada from STT sitting in Leinster Bay, but held off due to weather. I presume you're already there. I was supposed to be there by now, but got too many refit projects. Ready to step mast.

What are the flights out? Wait, you might be hanging there. I just remember the only way to get back to the Virgin Islands was to fly to Miami. Wasn't even a flight to Luis Munoz Marin for several years. LIAT was our lifeline for years (Late If A 'Tall) or (Luggage In Any Terminal). But I think they're done. Multi-island government ownership didn't work.

Wow. Jetblue is everywhere. GND to JFK to BOS for $261.00 if I want to get back to Maine instead of the VI next June/July. I'll file that away for now.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2020 19:36 
Skipper

Yes, we made it to Grenada and have completed quarantine. Staying here on the boat through the season. Airport isn't open yet except for repatriation flights, so people trying to leave haven't been having an easy time of it. Supposed to gradually start opening the airport for regular flights over the next month or so, but there are still lots of questions about when and which countries.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020 07:49 
Skipper

I did the same thing with a 3YM30 on a Bristol 35 and a 2YM20 on a Pearson 10M. I made a unit that would sit in and out that duplicated the "average" location of the bottoms of the engine mounts and the precise location of the center of the shaft/coupling. One was replacing an old volvo 2 cylinder and the other a Westerbeke MOWOG sewing machine (tiny pistons in 4 cylinder thing). With both, the entire existing beds had to go. Sit, stare, think, do. It ain't rocket science, but it takes time.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020 16:32 
Skipper

zdunc wrote:
Had the opportunity to upgrade to a new engine. Install went great! We got the Yanmar 3jh40. Let me know if you have any questions on the process. We had it professionally installed, but we were on the boat helping for all steps. https://youtu.be/FvTZyN9k1S0

You are going to like that engine. I have pictures of the removal and installation of mine in the resource part of the T37 site. I did not think the redoing of the bed was a big deal compared to all the other things you need to do. Just one more day or so of work.
Remember to pay attention to the break in instructions. Low RPM for the first 10 hr then move it up to WOT something like 6 minutes out of every hour for the first 50. Hopefully, you are not over propped. The folks at Yanmar insist that most diesels never get their rings set (which figures into their short lives in recreational boats) because they are not run fast enough in break in and that they are over propped.
Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2020 18:28 
Skipper

We are slightly under propped. Have been following the instructions although it's pretty freaky at WOT!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2020 11:48 
Skipper

zdunc wrote:
We are slightly under propped. Have been following the instructions although it's pretty freaky at WOT!

I had to call Yanmar and checked with my local guy to confirm that running it like the instructions suggested was OK. Yes. I have 1000 hours on mine now. Removed to inspect the exhaust manifold. Looked new. Look in the Service Book for the range of operation the engineers used for design and you will find that WOT is not just for break in. This figures in my preference for Yanmar engineering despite their awful DIY customer service. They did not just cobble together a tractor engine with some marinization parts. The whole thing was designed for a specific set of parameters. In my delivery experience, recreational diesel failures are mostly the result of failure of the exhaust/raw water systems and dirty fuel. But the design of the exhaust and raw systems is critical as folks tend not to maintain these regularly on the cobbled units.
FWIW.

Profile Email