Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Auto Pilot Connection

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Auto Pilot Connection
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020 12:35 
Tactictian

It's the fifth Year working on the Bleu Moon, finally got around to the Robertson Linear Drive Auto Pilot. The PO had the boatyard fabricate a mount to the Starboard side of the hull. The mount is quite robust, but the Auto Pilot ram was only connected to the Quadrant via a drive pin into a drilled clearance hole. However many lock nuts and lock washers, it would always ultimately come loose each season, enlarging the clearance hole for the drive pin, exasperating the problem. Remounting the Auto Pilot was not an option I wanted to entertain, instead I decided to focus on beefing up the Drive Pin Quadrant connection.
I used 3/8 x 2" Steel Bar Stock from HD, with 4 coats rustoleum paint, drilled and tapped bar stock for the Drive pin 12mmm x 1,75 thread size, lock nuts top and bottom, added two clearance holes for 3/8 SS Bolts and bolted to the Quadrant. Rock Solid Now. Not rocket science, but took a long while to figure out the best fix and engineer the final length of bar stock. Final measurement was 7" L x 2"W and had to clear Linear drive ram when hard over on the wheel. I fabricated with Ryobi Bench Top Drill Press and Harbor Freight Tap and Die Kit. If there is a corrosion issue, I have a template and can use maybe 304 SS next time. Drive pin is in the same location as it was previously. Planning a trip Downeast this summer !

Attachments:
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg [ 24.07 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #439

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Auto Pilot Connection
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020 14:32 
Skipper

Thank you! Rudder rebuilt and reinstalled and the Raymarine drive unit has to be re-attached. The photos are great!

By the way, roll into Stockton Harbor north of Belfast (carefully) and the Yacht Club is on your starboard side with short term dockspace. They're pretty welcoming, got guest moorings, which reminds me dues are due.

Anything in Belfast Harbor may require signing a mortgage.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020 21:48 
Tactictian

Thank You Maineiac, I might take you up on that. I plan on joining a cruise to Maine Rally sponsored by the Salty Dawgs Sailing Club. Meet in Dutch Harbor RI, To Metapoisset Mass, Direct to Rockland. Sail around a few days, guided, eat a few lobsters, then work our way home. Farthest I have been is Isle Of Shoals by myself and the Admiral. I have been on the Stephan Taber Windjammer out of Rockland a few years ago, the lobster pots were dense. I'm hoping I don't get hung up on them, I have line cutters. Fog too, should be an experience, Have Radar, AIS. Next Year there planning a Nova Scotia trip, I would like to join.
Good luck with your Auto Pilot ! This set-up is 1000% better than what I had.

Hull #439

Last edited by Ex Hobie Sailor on 13 Mar 2020 06:37, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020 21:52 
Tactictian

Cheers Tartan

Hull #439

Last edited by Ex Hobie Sailor on 13 Mar 2020 06:39, edited 1 time in total

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2020 22:02 
Tactictian

Note, the Drive Pin extends through the existing hole in the Quadrant, under the piece I fabricated. I have it Nylocked underneath the Quardant with double washers, Stainless nut with lock washer on top. Pin is threaded into the bar stock, 12mm x 1.75. Not sure what size the Ray Marine unit is.
The 3/8 bolts are Nylocked also with flat washers.

Hull #439

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2020 06:26 
Tactictian

This is a much better picture of Quadrant connection.
Also 3/8" Bolts and Drive Pin must be lined up with flat surfaces underneath Quadrant. It's a very custom installation for your boat. I also considered using Flat Head Machine Screws and countersinking them If I had interference with the Ram. I got away with 3/8" Cap Screws, 1 1/4".
I also burned out my jig saw cutting the bar stock, I had cut 2 pieces, jig saw made it through the first time, second time there was smoke and it seized up. I didn't like the way the first came out, wanted to make it better. an Angle Grinder with a 4" cut off wheel made quick work of cutting Bar Stock to size.
BTW Jig Saw was a Sears Craftsman at least a 45 Years old, inherited from my dad.
I'll be needing a new saw.....

Attachments:
20200310_121007_HDR.jpg
20200310_121007_HDR.jpg [ 4.62 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #439

Profile Email