Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - beta

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 05:52

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: beta
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020 15:57 
Skipper

Well, it took a couple of pain in the neck customers, back to back to back snowstorms and subzero temps, but I got authorization to repower from the necessary authority. Beta 38 or 25? The Wbeke supposedly has 1200 hrs on it, but it’s 42 or 43 this year. She says do it. Less to worry about. Just can’t get started until March or so. Done the Yanmar install dance twice in the past. Probably go 38.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: beta
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020 19:00 
Tactictian

What's the deal with the Westie? Have you thought of a price for it? Mark #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020 22:18 
Skipper

Mark could use a running takeout.

Look at the Beta 35hp. Exact same block as the 38hp, but is slower turning. Which allows using the same gear and prop if you have a good one. I believe a slower turning motor will last longer. Plus the 35 has better low end torque over the 38. Beta NA in NC will steer you to the 38hp, Beta England and Canada seem to push the 35hp. Look for deals at boat shows, saves 10%. Also buy thru a marine business and get jobbers price, another 10%. I had a friend in Canada in the marine business, I bought thru him save 20%, with strong dollar. You need a Customs agent to bring it back across the US, kind of a pain. But being in Maine, you can make a quick trip. The install is easy, but if you what to tap Beta NA for lots of info you might want to get from them. You will LOVE the Beta, it is a little less power.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020 10:57 
Skipper

Haven't thought about a price yet. The boat was entirely freshwater unto the prior owner picked it up in Wisconsin and moved it to Maine a few years ago. Apparently it was used as a liveaboard with a generator on deck while someone built a remote home somewhere in Wisconsin.

I mentioned March because it's heavily covered, snowed in and it's been subzero around here of late. The engine was running when the boat was hauled a couple years ago. Has a monster Balmar on it with all the bells and whistles.

I'm working today, so let me contemplate. Still, there ain't no getting at the boat with a crane until another boat gets moved, the cover comes off, the snow stops and the trout start biting on the Machias River.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2020 13:56 
Skipper

So the Beta 35 is pretty much the same price as the Beta 38 and provides its horsepower at lower RPM's than the 38. I haven't had a chance to review everything, but somewhere they commented that "you can use the same prop as with the W50 if you get the 35." It's still about $15K with all the bells, whistles, custom mounts, recommended additions, etc. I haven't asked for the boat show price yet, although I did email a dealer up in New Brunswick and never heard back.

I've got a 2 blade prop and am going cruising, so, well . . . I could survive with 2 blade but I like umpf when I need it. But I know I'll end up racing somewhere. Always do.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2020 12:21 
Skipper

Contacted dealers vs. HQ. Thousands less, "boat show" prices.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2020 14:20 
Rail Meat

I was lucky i checked Annapolis boat show prices a couple of years ago with Beta and was impressed with the Beta 38hp. Not cheap 14k bas price before the extras.

I found a 2009 low hour Beta 38hp 4cylinder marine diesel low hours not sure how many till installed as hour meter is digital on tach instrument panel which was included with purchase and harness.
$3400 another sailors lottery win for my Tartan 37 hull #423
On bench test she ran great after a little tweaking we found on initially checking fuel was not getting through fuel injection pump rack through inspection spring that holds open rack for fuel flow was missing when replaced she ran great. Through inquiry and a few service parts Beta parts in SC reccomendation send fuel injection rack to be recalibrated so thats what i did.just to be sure all is right since someone messed with it when spring was lost.
I appreciate all input so if any would suggest best prop to run with my Beta 38hp would be appreciated.previous engine is a westerbeke 33 a Mitsubishi block same as a Mitsubishi fork lift KE150 engine. It will be offered for sale once new install is complete.

Attachments:
imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
imagejpeg_0(2).jpg [ 570.29 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2020 22:55 
Skipper

A lot goes into the prop selection. What tranny do you have on the Beta 38. Give Beta NA Inc in NC a call. Also call Flexofold. Let them run the cals on their program. Try this one out, it was very close for me. https://vicprop.com/free-propeller-sizing-calculators?

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2020 10:18 
Skipper

For reference, we installed a new prop last year. Went with the Flexofold 17-11-3B RH. We repowered few years ago with the Beta 35, rated 2,800 and have the Hurth transmission, that has a 2.14:1 ratio. I think I could of gone with touch more pitch, but I ran over pitched so I was use to it.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2020 13:44 
Skipper

On the W50 we had FoF 17-13-2RH that was ordered for the 2.14 gear, 14 years ago. Loved the pitch on that prop with the W50. It was slightly over pitched for the Beta 35, which does have a little less hp than the W50. Before that, had a Gori 17-11-2RH that was under pitched. One thing to remember not all props of the same size have the same push/thrust.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email