Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - in need of a westerbeke 50

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: in need of a westerbeke 50
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019 01:13 
Skipper

I removed my good running W50 at Cobbs just a couple years ago and sold it for $1000. I rebuilt that motor 15 years ago. Parts are getting tougher to find. The block is a BMC 1.8L diesel. I found out the BMC short blocks are used with MGBs. If you get it apart there are some sources. There is a guy Chuck Botwright at Abacus Machine who rebuilds Jags and MGB race cars in Va Beach. I bought a MGB crank from him at a very good price, it was identical to the W50. You can't afford to use him to do the work. Take your broken connecting rod up there and see if they match. Don't buy anything from Westerbeke. I used ASAP in England for some parts and TransAtlantic Diesel, great help. But your best bet is to find a running takeout. My total rebuild 15yrs ago was about $3k. I did found some deals like a water pump for a 1979 MGB is the same and you can buy one at the auto part store for $39 w/lifetime warranty. I'm near Norfolk if you need some help.

https://www.abacusracing.com/

https://www.asap-supplies.com/engine-sp ... gine-parts

http://www.tadiesels.com/westerbeke-eng.html

http://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6 ... tegories/2

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019 14:21 
Tactictian

Thanks for the information Puff. It's to bad we didn't get to meet up. I was a little held up with my launch. I remember seeing a link to your engine sale and got really excited till I saw the date and the decrease in price revealed sold. Anyway, good leads.Thanks for that. I will keep everyone posted into the New year. Mark #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2019 18:56 
Skipper

This might be worth a look. Most of the older Westerbeke use the same shaft lines.
https://www.dieselenginemotor.com/diese ... Engine/899

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2020 20:30 
Tactictian

Well I managed to wrestle the Westie out of her cave and got it on the ground. Stripped her down to the block and loaded it up in my Cruze and brought it back to my shop here in Oakwood Illinois. I think I got lucky in the fact that I had spun a bearing and the cap nuts dropped off into the pan. The extent of the damage is isolated in the cap being damaged, one bolt damaged and the one section of crank needs attention. All cylinder walls are in good shape and everything else is intact. I need to find a connecting rod and thought I might have a look around my neighbourhood here in the agricultural centre as the Leland/BMC 1800 D showed up in many tractors of various brands. Time to go hunting in the scrap yards. Bearings aren't a problem as indeed all other parts except the rod can be sourced. Mark #337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2020 19:41 
Tactictian

does anyone have a connecting rod for the BMC 1.8L (leland 1800D). I have a price for a new one from Westerbeke for $329.00 but would prefer to find a used one.Mark,#337

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020 16:45 
Skipper

I'd call Trans Atlantic Diesel and ask where you might source one. It looks to me that they are out there, but possibly would have to be sourced from overseas. Used I dunno unless someone is parting out on Ebay. Looks like the old Westerbeke MOWOG parts I needed years ago (a veritable 4 cylinder sewing machine). MG, MGB, Land Rover, etc.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2020 23:28 
Skipper

Don't forget to give Chuck Botwright at Abacus a call in VA Beach. I bought a MGB crank from him that was the same as a W50, he gave me a great price including the bearings. Ask if he has connecting rods for MGB, bet they're the same. Or send your old and let him compare the two. Link was provided above.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020 19:11 
Tactictian

Thanks for that Puff. I tried to leave enough time to get over to see him in Va beach but it was Saturday and I had to get away Sunday morning to drive back. I will give him a call. I am delivering the crank tomorrow to be cleaned up and will hunt for the con rod. I am ordering all the gear from ASAP and will get rings, gaskets and whatever i can think of. I will be doing this only once so I want to get it right. I'm getting a new MGB water pump to keep the old as a spare and I need to get a rebuild kit for the Sherwood which is local sourced as well. I have the engine completely apart and ready for clean up,painting and rebuild. got any sugestions for an alternator up grade?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020 21:52 
Skipper

The only thing I didn't replace on my rebuild, after new crank, new pistons, rebore, new heat exchanger...ect, were the 15 head studs. I looked at the time they were tough to find, so I reuse the old ones. I now believe it was a mistake. The first head gasket after the rebuild lasted 12 years, the second lasted only one year. The third was on the motor when sold. What was happening was they were stretching. The last time I checked the touque. I backed off an 1/8 of a turn and retighten and it would take 3/4 of a CW turn to reach the spec torque. It really felt like they were going to break. If you do keep the old studs, keep a watch on them by rechecking at less every 300 hours. Will need a crows foot 15mm socket to perform and recalculate torque for the added length. My head gasket failed between cylinders 3 & 4. Lost of compression with a bad knock and ton of black smoke. Good luck on the rebuild, if you need anything in Norfolk let me know. We weren't able to go south this year so in the area.

I had a very good Ample Power 200a alternator, was a big beast. The Balmar have a good rep, but seem to be a lightweight frame to me. I only ran 100 amps max for a 1/2 hour, while cruising. Two things like to stay cool in the engine room, the alternator and transmission.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020 20:54 
Tactictian

Yeah I hear you there on keeping the alternator cool. I got my crank into a shop today and it was interesting that he took the micrometer to the good parts and came up with exact number for the MGB 65/75 or something like that from the book of all measure. Anyway i will have it in a couple of weeks as he is backed up. A call to Moss Motors yielded nothing in using the casting number to cross reference the con rod. I called down to John Perkins of Perkins truck and Marine diesel in Tide water and I have a rod for $150.00. John was the first person I contacted before I knew the damage and he had a couple of rebuilt short blocks and a crank and con rod. I thought at the time the pricing was a little steep but luckily not. I guess I have time now to paint her up and rebuild the Sherwood and sort out the alternator. Thanks for your help. If you email me I can give you a ring when I get everything sorted and bring the engine back to Chesapeake yachts. Mark#337 zoombats@gmail.com

Profile Email