Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - T37 Centerboard is only 140 lbs ???

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: T37 Centerboard is only 140 lbs ???
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010 15:01 
Skipper

Dacar,

You mention the board will not come down while sailing. Keep in mind the board will not come down if you are on the wind. The water pressure will mash it against the side of the trunk and prevent it from pivoting. You can uncleat the pendant and then tack slowly or come up into the wind and it will drop. Down wind is no problem unless the boat is rolling a lot and then it will come down in steps as the boat rolls side to side. If you drop the board before raising sail you have no problems getting it down.

-Jim

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2010 15:30 
Skipper

Has anyone tried removing a bit of the inside trunk for the C/B? I pulled the centerboard eaily this spring as the penet was coing out and the baord was splitting. I repaired it but still have some resistant when pulling it up. How about some sort of lubriacnt, would grease even stay on? Sounds illy but I am willing to try anything.

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2011 19:17 
Midshipman

This post is old as I'm the one who started the thread with a question months ago. But since it's still active, I'll add some thoughts. There is supposed to be a rubber tube around the pennant about a foot long which keeps it from binding inside the trunk. Mine looks like simply a foot of rubber hose. I never have any problems binding. Also, the pad eye on centerboard began coming out through delamination around the base of the pad eye. I simply had the marina re-bed it with epoxy and have not had a problem since. Also, on the weight issue, I would be careful about adding too much weight. The angle of leverage is off in the design (in my opinion) and it takes a winch to haul it back up. Adding weight would seem to just make that worse. I agree with a previous comment that it should slip down as long as you are not on the wind. I mark my pennant with a magic marker where it goes thru the fairlead (not sure it's supposed to or if all T37s had a fairlead for the pennant... but I just release the pennant when I'm sailing and it gradually drops until I cleat it off when it reaches my pre-set marks. If I'm sitting still, it drops immediately.

Mark

T37 #315, Celtic Lady
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2011 18:20 
Skipper

Mark,
When your marina rebedded that pad eye, what did the bolts look like when they removed them? Mine were almost corroded through....it's a good thing to check on every couple of years or so...not something you want to fail!!!
Also, that hose keeps the pendant centered on top of the board as it raises/lowers and keeps it from slipping off to the side where it could bind.

Is it spring yet? waiting......
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016 21:52 
Rail Meat

My T37 is in the yard to fix a stuck C/B (will use a hose to guide the pennant). But we discovered that the hinge pin is severely corroded. Deeply pitted -- so much so, it lost its connection to the flanges. I think the pin was made of stainless steel. Anyone have knowledge of this problem? any recommendations on the best pin/bracket assembly?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016 08:47 
Skipper

Hi David, sometimes the c'board can be unstuck with an old handsaw,work it up each side. A new pivot is available from Art at Tartan parts [though I have seen better fabrication !!] Bruce.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016 10:29 
Grinder

Enlighten us Bruce, where did you see better fabrications?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016 16:47 
Skipper

Obviously I don't have a picture, 2 pieces of stainless angle, a 1''[?] pin welded in one. The other has a threaded hole and the pin is threaded,the fit of the threaded pin in the hole is very poor and loose.Not even tight enough to locktite after assembly.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2019 10:41 
Skipper

Yeah, I know its an old thread.

So what did you do? I've thought about making a new one out of stainless and doing a better job with the threads. It IS sloppy. But there's enough of the pin into the angle piece so it ain't going anywhere, I think. Anyone else notice this? My board also binds aft to port when it's cranked up. All I can figure is the angles aren't into the keel perfectly straight. The board is straight. I'd also say she weighs over 100# - a bitch to carry around, so it's easily over 80.

NOW, some seem to say that the bolts that hold the angles are into GRP laminate. Maybe. I'm leery of taking the pin assembly off, filling with West System, re-drilling, tapping and running with that. I wish I really knew what the hell was up in there. Any thread references for someone who has really dug in? Does it matter, since the board will be up 95% of the time unless I'm racing or want an edge to wind on a passage?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2019 17:08 
Skipper

Because of the distance from the aft end of the centerboard to those bolts, you want to be absolutely certain you've got that plate system in the exactly the right spot. For some reason, my board binds to port and the board is perfectly straight. I also started ruminating on a board-down passage to wind. Those bolts working and working, up the mountain, down the mountain, against nothing but epoxy filler. Would receivers bedded in appropriate West System spooge be an improvement? I don't know. But I can't picture how you'd "pin" those. Laterally?

Profile Email