Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Windlass

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Windlass
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2019 16:16 
Skipper

Finding a piece of teak without costing an arm and leg is a trick. We only are going with 80ft of 5/16" chain, spliced to 150 5/8" 8-ply. East coast and Bahamas it's plenty. I'm very worried about weight in the bow. I put the teak down with 5200, not planning to remove it. Stays flexible and stays put. The strength comes from the sandwich of the deck. Got marine ply under with large fender washers. I've been seeing older Boat Life breaking down and becoming chalky. Just replace a thru hull, where the Boat Life sealant was just dust, after 24 years. This was found during the launch this fall, hadn't even messed with it. Had to come back out for a short haul. I've use 5200 if I don't want it to come apart. Use 4000UV for deck fittings and plastic, got to be fast assembling. 4200 or 4000UV on hull fittings. I'm not super afraid of silicone in the right spots, never breaks down, stays flexible, heat no problem and no UV damage.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019 07:19 
Skipper

I've always done polysulfide above the waterline and polyurethane below. 5200 for absolute permanency, but I've gotten it out of the way when necessary. I used 4200 for the pintle bolts this time around. I redid the entire hull/deck joint all the way around by digging it out some and re-filling with Life Caulk. There was old life caulk in there that remained malleable since it was originally done, with an obvious amount of butyl used in there somehow. I think the butyl was used at the aluminum plate and then the final fill was done with the polysulfide. I wouldn't bed underwater components in polysulfide.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2019 08:00 
Tactictian

In situations where a tough material is needed to bed such things as a windlass, when I worked in the marine industry in Hong Kong we would use Tuffnol in many applications. It was cheap and could be had in many different forms of sheet goods in many thicknesses. If left unfinished it retained its original brown colour and would hold paint well. Tough stuff and bedded with anything you would prefer to use including epoxies. I have no idea where to buy it in North America.

Profile Email