Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Boat Cover

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:25

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat Cover
PostPosted: 03 Oct 2019 17:17 
Skipper

I really have a hard time with the whole shrink-wrap idea, seeing tons of the stuff laying around in the spring before it heads for landfills.

So I stood on the deck and studied. I ended up going up back in the woods behind the house where I stashed around 100' of old 1.25" ID plastic well pipe. I took the top lifelines off and cut two sections about 16' and inserted each "loop" over the lifeline gate stanchions. Then cut shorter sections for the remaining stanchions. All ribbed up, with a short section of 1" plastic pipe (don't know where that came from) lashed to the pulpit and another piece lashed to the aft end of the pushpit. i went by Lowes and grabbed a 6 pack of cheap spruce strapping and some screws. That ended up as the backbone to the whole thing. Then ran lines from the strapping/pipe junctions down to padeyes and places along the centerline to make the whole thing unable to "lift." Oh, and upright supports at 5 of the "rib" stations. Kinda homely, but no screws to cut tarps or scratch the deck. Cloth under the upright supports - an old blanket cut up.

I have 4 19.5' x 11' tarps. Saturday I'll go down and decide where I'll want to get on the boat once tarped, whether gate or over the pulpit aft. The tarps will get "shingled" one way or the other to prevent water from getting in. Probably start with one at the highest point, and put that over the tarp ends for the pieces that go fore and aft so everything runs off. I took pictures, but . . . I promise to someday load this place up with refit pictures. I've got a million of 'em. But we've turnt the seasonal corner and this kid is almost ready to head home to the Virgin Islands. After I tag out deer season.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Boat Cover
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2019 09:47 
Skipper

Well, 60kn winds and sideways rain out of the ENE early this morning. We'll see how my tarp job held up when the sun comes back out tomorrow. Looks like we lost a couple big pines up back of the house, too.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2019 07:09 
Skipper

Well, I am here in Maine with you and the cover issue is with me again as I lost my inside storage a couple years ago as I could not find a nearby yard with a travel lift to load the boat for my inside storage options and all the yards with barns are full. My yard (Seal Cove) covered my boat last winter with their green tarps and I got so much mold and moisture damage that I spent a lot of the sailing season cleaning and replacing electrical stuff from corrosion. I am told the plastic shrink wrap with vents is a far superior option despite my abhorrence of the plastic waste. The white reflects and the vents work—they say. Just expensive and polluting. No good option.
Ray Durkee

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2019 08:59 
Skipper

Seal Cove is in a kinda back corner and the yard itself probably doesn't get a lot of air circulation. I haven't been in there in years, but I recall a lot of spruce greenery and not a lot of breeze and sunlight. Even without a cover, sealing up the boat for the winter usually results in a spring cleaning necessity. I'll be sanding all the woodwork down below over the winter (when I'm here) anyway.

I'm at Mid Coast Marine. I'll keep the commentary to myself on that one.

Devereaux's would've been perfect for T37's. Don't know why Andrea closed down, but there was that guy that got electrocuted moving boats around years ago. It's a shallow approach, but I got popped out there with 5'6" draft on the Bristol 35 a couple times.

I see some masts in Stockton Springs by the Yacht Club. Paid them membership this year, ended up working on the boat instead, never heard from them again. It looks like they've yanked some boats up on shore somehow. I'll have to look into that if I don't get the boat south in 2020. Barring that, I'm looking at a Hinckley SW 30 to keep in Maine.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2019 15:27 
Skipper

Well, thanks a pantload. Cheers But this is why we like Northern boats. All buttoned up for 9 months out of the year.

We survived the big wind. Now I've got to start spending some time stem to stern getting everything ready to splash in May and head for home. I think we're moving back to the Caribbean for good. 15 years living there and the last 7 up here just don't add up. It can be a struggle north of the Mason/Kittery line.

Profile Email