Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Chainplates for my T37 #49 HELP PLEASE!

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Chainplates for my T37 #49 HELP PLEASE!
PostPosted: 06 May 2019 09:18 
Skipper

I've been out straight, but I'll get pictures at some point. Focused on rudder and shipping 2 vehicles that needed rocker panel work back to the Virgin Islands. One down, one to go, then focus on refit/launch. Of course, there's the issue of a Dyer 29 I have my eye on for fishing purposes as well . . . it's a disease.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 May 2019 21:07 
Able Bodied Seaman

replaced mine. went with Mack sails in stuart florida. did a very good job.

Word of caution to all Tartan 37 owners....

When i did the replacement i found the wood in the starboard knee was gone from rot.

Not soft, not wet. Gone. Over the years water got into the wood through the chainplate hole, rotted the wood.

Dug all the wood out of the area, replaced with coosa board. Now that area is all composite.

Only holding the chainplates was the outer fibreglass layers formed over the wood core.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2019 12:43 
Midshipman

Destiny wrote:
replaced mine. went with Mack sails in stuart florida. did a very good job.

Word of caution to all Tartan 37 owners....

When i did the replacement i found the wood in the starboard knee was gone from rot.

Not soft, not wet. Gone. Over the years water got into the wood through the chainplate hole, rotted the wood.

Dug all the wood out of the area, replaced with coosa board. Now that area is all composite.

Only holding the chainplates was the outer fibreglass layers formed over the wood core.

Did you remove the whole bulkhead? Or did you join the coosa to some remaining good wood? If so how'd you do that? Did you just do a but joint and rely on the glass to make the connection? Or did you scarf it or puzzle piece it or some other method of making the joint?

I think we may have more of a rot than a chainplate problem, but just trying to get psyched up to dig into the project, by reading all related topics here.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019 21:39 
Able Bodied Seaman

Took off wood panel covering chainplate area. That requires loosening or removing some of the trim inboard of chainplates.
Cut two 'panels' out of fibreglass knee. left the areas under the chainplates. So there was 2 inverted U shapes in the fiberglass.
Dug out the remaining wood from between the two fiberglass sections. The knee is formed by a piece of plywood 1.5" thick, covered by thick layers of fiberglass on both sides. Then chainplates are bolted through that.
Used chisels, a mini belt sander, angle grinder. anything i could get to fit in there.
Made a cardboard template of the interior of the shell. cut out coosa board to that shape.
I did need to cut the formed piece in two, a diagonal that ran from the lower right side of the piece to the upper left. (lower right defined as outboard, starboard section. longer piece)
liberally coated both inside of fibreglass shell and coosa section. (be sure to lay down LOTS of plastic)
Jammed the outboard section into the shell, shoved the left, inboard section up to meet. Perfect fit.
Sanded the fiberglass lightly, laid in several layers of biaxial fiberglass.
used the chainplates to drill new holes in coosa board, was also guided by existing holes in area i left under the chainplates.
Worked perfectly, withstood hurricane Irma.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2019 23:24 
Able Bodied Seaman

Pictures of Starboard chainplate knee repair with coosa board.

If you have not kept your chainplate area dry, here is what you risk.

Attachments:
File comment: show from below, looking up into slot between two fiberglass 'shell'. original plywood nearly gone.
knee repair, below.jpg
knee repair, below.jpg [ 154.67 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: before
knee repair.jpg
knee repair.jpg [ 275.45 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
knee repair coosa.jpg
knee repair coosa.jpg [ 242.88 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2019 12:17 
Midshipman

Ah, thank you for the photos this is extremely helpful to see! I think my aft lowers are dry, but I will probably end up rebedding those as well. However, my forward lowers are the ones that seem to be leaking a bit. Unfortunately those appear even more difficult to access - no space to get into that starboard hanging locker...

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2019 19:13 
Able Bodied Seaman

No, unfortunately for the forwards the best route is to cut the top part of the deck off, dig out the rot, put in new core, use thickened epoxy to bed and reattach the deck, sand and fibreglass / filler, the edge and try to match the gel coat color.

i plan to do that next year.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2019 05:23 
Midshipman

CHAINPLATE NEWS!!!! Tartan will now have chainplates to offer!

I pulled mine recently and sent them to Tartan for them to copy for fabrication. Now they have a template or model and drawings to reproduce.

Also, yes. Stainless corrodes from inside out, therefore visual inspection tells you nothing...well...yes, if there is a little rust outside bet there is corrosion inside. 40 years old? They support the mast? Seems like a no brainer to me. Replace.

Call Tartan. They now have them!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 31 May 2021 18:13 
Midshipman

I had mine out and they looked fine. Fresh water boat. But there are times when I'm hard on it that I think.... Hmmm. I ran out of time so they went back in. For what it would cost for a new set of 316 ss...I'd just replace.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2021 06:29 
Skipper

And, out of nothing but intense curiosity, how much would that be in this day and age?

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next