Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - POLL! Does rudder pintle carry any weight?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: POLL! Does rudder pintle carry any weight?
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019 08:35 
Skipper

I'm not satisfied with any answers I've gotten. Prior owner says no. Tartan doesn't respond. QUESTION: (YES/NO)

1.) Does the PINTLE BAR/PLATE CARRY ANY WEIGHT? (YES/NO)

2.) IS THIS SETUP WITH BUSHING MERELY A "CAPTURE TOOL" TO PREVENT LATERAL MOVEMENT? (YES/NO)

Seems as though anyone looking at it would think it would carry weight, but if the rudder floats up in more buoyant waters . . .

I believe it's just a capture tool, so I'm going to have a long hard look at the rudderstock containment and attachment. When the bushing goes back in on assembly, she'll be loaded with water pump grease.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: POLL! Does rudder pintle carry any weight?
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019 12:46 
Midshipman

It makes sense that when the boat is in the water there's little, if any, weight on the pintle. In my world the boat spends half the year on the hard, during which time all of the weight of the rudder rests on the pintle, which still isn't a lot of weight - maybe 50 lbs.

And I'd agree the primary purpose of the pintle design is to keep the rudder aligned and not wear the thruhull integrity.

I'm just finishing rebuilding my rudder, meaning reinforcing cracks, holes and general weakness from inside the rudder with additional fiberglass, refilling it with 2 part foam and sealing everything back up.

I also had a new pintle made locally as mine had some deterioration. The new bushing fits nicely into the rudderstock with just enough clearance to turn easily but not wobble.

Doug Radabaugh
Kinsale T37 #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 07:34 
Skipper

My pintle generally carries no weight, the rudder floats and always goes down approx 1/8” when I push down on the quadrant.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 08:29 
Skipper

The rudder should float while in the water unless its leaking and fills with water. If it doesn't float, one should suspect a rudder repair is most likely needed. Again while in the water the pintle restrains lateral movement thru the bushing placed and pinned on the 1 in diameter shaft stub on the pintle. The bushing OD should match the ID of the rudder post. The washer is placed over the OD od the rudder post between the rudder and hull to minimize wear to the rudder/hull because the rudder floats.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 11:08 
Skipper

My thoughts exactly. Mine didn't have the upper (2.5" i.d.) washer, so I had a 1/8" delrin made for that space between rudder and hull. That would stop "bumping". But I now believe it should be 3/16" thick, likewise with the 1" i.d. washer under the bushing. But this is an area that could vary between boats, so checking clearances first is imperative. I noticed there is space between bushing and my washer, and I may just go back to the 3/16" stainless one that was originally in there. The delrin one is only 1/8" and there's a gap. But I guess if the rudder is up and floating, it only matters when its bearing weight in the yard . . . no, need it fitting to the bearing, since the bearing is pinned and isn't going to come down.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 14:56 
Midshipman

Timshel wrote:
My pintle generally carries no weight, the rudder floats and always goes down approx 1/8” when I push down on the quadrant.

SO when you're beating to weather, do you get the "bump"?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 15:52 
Skipper

Do you have the delrin "washer" (really a "spacer") at the top of the rudder on the rudderpost to prevent the "bump"? Mine didn't come with, so I'm putting one in. It's about 4" diameter. I had a fixed space above the rudder, and couldn't get it to move up or down on the hard. Now that I've refoamed and rebuilt the rudder I want to make sure this is all going back together correctly.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2019 15:59 
Skipper

Yes the washer is delrin. 4 in OD sounds about right.

Odyssey #191
Home Port: Osterville, MA

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2019 06:24 
Skipper

I don’t notice any ‘bump’ but if the rudder is anything but dead straight there must be a lot of side pressure on it which I assume would stop any floating up and down.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2019 16:10 
Midshipman

My rudder pintle was bent downward slightly. So absolutely they carry weight. I remade mine and added gussets on the underside edges to strengthen it. See it on my marcthesailor@blogspot.com

Profile Email