Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Centerboard trunk Thru hull

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Centerboard trunk Thru hull
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2019 14:18 
Rail Meat

Howdy folks,

I am looking for some input on the thru hull design for the CB trunk. while setting up to replace the connecting hose and pennant, I noticed a bunch of what looks like corroded bronze at the base of the threaded thru hull. I am assuming that this is a backing nut that has dissolved, however it seems strange to me that a bronze nut would disolve away while the thru hull itself is not showing anywhere near the same level. Also, I have read other posts describing the backing nut as being imbedded in glass, in which case this could be something different. Wondering if any one else has come across the set up with this particular thruhull and if maybe it was just "set" in the glass as apposed to buried. It does instill some doubt for me regardless and may just end up getting changed, some other wear/ corrosion as well.

Thank you for any input!

Steve

Attachments:
File comment: Another poor photo of the CB thru-hull.
IMG_3081.jpg
IMG_3081.jpg [ 876.45 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
File comment: poor photo of the corrosion on the CB pennant thru-hull
IMG_3080.jpg
IMG_3080.jpg [ 1.05 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Centerboard trunk Thru hull
PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019 09:53 
Rail Meat

Steve, the best way to find out what that is underneath there is to clean off any crud from years of use, wipe off with some acetone, and scratch it with the edge of a screwdriver or something sharp. That should give you a better idea of what's in there. If green or gold, it's bronze. If pink, probably some bronze on its way out. Glass in good condition is hard, but if it flakes off it may be delaminating. It's hard to tell from your photo what it is exactly. Ours has the same thru-hull set up (partially glassed in) but that doesnt guarantee that you have it too as there are different designs floating out there. We had it replaced as it was badly corroded and only found out while unstepping the mast and the centerboard penant was left wrapped around a winch on the mast. The crane pulled and snap went that through-hull and rope. Went with a new bronze thru-hull. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Hull #49

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019 10:37 
Skipper

We're planning to do the same job this fall, along with dropping the board. I think you had some leakage or a wet bilge. I wouldn't touch it till after you are on the hard. Try hitting the backing nut with a brass wire brush and to clean. Try a spanner wrench, but you might need to use a multi-tool to cut it out. Nothing crazy here, it's a straight tread thru hull, with backing nut. It is a very important component in keeping the boat dry. You will be inspecting the center-board, attachment eye and pivot bracket (very important). Replace pendent and the outside hose that keeps the pendant from jamming. Along with the inboard hose with proper hose clamps. Inspect the SS bent pipe that goes up the mast. Any pitting, needs more inspection. Pulling the mast is required for replacement. When you reinstall, clean thru-hull bedding area, bed with 5200. Don't paint area with bottom paint first. Bottom paint is soft and let's water penetrate behind the thru-hull.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019 11:28 
Skipper

Does this all happen in the slings, or can it be done with carefully placed blocking, maybe a couple three blocks high?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2019 16:27 
Skipper

Last time I dropped the board. We did it while in the slings, before blocking. Rehung the board lifting the boat for launch. I think my thru hull is original. Plan to use my skinny arm grandson to install. Everything else on the hard. I usually ask for two big blocks.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email