Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - New Headsail Advice

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Headsail Advice
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019 11:39 
Tactictian

I currently have a 20 year old 135 headsail made of some type of composite that came with the boat. Getting real shabby.
I need to bit the bullet and buy a new headsail.
I would like to stay with a 135, nothing bigger, but use Dacron.
No intention of racing. Just cruising Lake Superior.
Not sure if Tri radial is worth it compared to cross cut (?)
Pricing all over the board. Trying to compare Apples to Apples.
I welcome recommendations, feedback, any other upgrades, advice, etc from follow T37s.
Thanks in advance.
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia
Hull#336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: New Headsail Advice
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019 18:33 
Skipper

My opinion is the simplest cross cut Dacron 130% jib you can get. Has worked for me for 20 years (now on my second sail). The boat sails well and the sail lasts a long time.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2019 18:55 
Skipper

I agree with Cseltzjr?. Get the simplest you can. And a 125 or 130 is just about right for the Lakes and bays. I sailed all of Central America with a 115—if you are a cruiser the infinitesimal addition of speed from hauling an extra 5 or 10 percent is just not worth it. I got a foam luff with mine and the guy did a nice job in how it looks, but I would not get it again—seems like it distorts more than helps. I like buying from a local person. It always seems there is some little adjustment that can be made, a chafe patch to add, or some thing that it is nice to have a local sailmaker fix and it is worth the small additional. Also they know local conditions for size and weight of fabric and their advice is worth something if it is a busy loft.
FWIW.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 09:43 
Skipper

About the only headsail that I use is a 100% “working” jib. The boat came with an almost new 140 (or so) with foam luff, a beauty of a sail, but not for me. I do have a #4 (cut high like a yankee) that is good for above 20 knots and/or gusty conditions. This coward doesn’t like to get over powered (and that almost rhymes)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2019 16:40 
Skipper

I have a 115% jib I use during the winter in the Bahamas. I bought from National Sail Supply. After much debate in the purchase, I absolutely love this sail and it performs great. I would use it as an all purpose sail, without any problems. If I wasn't doing Beer Can and club racing in my area, I would use it all the time. Great shape, so easy to see under, easy to tack, good power in +10kts. Our genny is so big and powerful with the 16ft "J". My 150% jib has a 24ft foot. That's a lot of sail to get in when the wind is over 16kts. Max would be 125%. Cross cut dacon sail made with high quality fabric is find. Add foam luff, sun cover, draft lines and tail-tales.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2019 11:43 
Tactictian

Thanks everybody for your comments. I'm convinced that cross cut is just fine for my type of sailing..

I'm going with the cross cut, Sunbrella UV, Spreader patche, saving a lot of $$ over the Triradial from a local North Sails sail loft.
Surprising, we get a lot of days in August with light air on Lake Superior.
I'm be staying with the 135.
When the winds pick up around 20 and it's just my wife and I, we drop the main and cruise with just headsail.

Thanks again,
Nick.

Profile Email