Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Pintle Backing Plate

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pintle Backing Plate
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2019 19:23 
Rail Meat

Hi All,

I recently purchased hull #72, and began work on the rudder and skeg. When I dropped the rudder I noticed that the nuts holding the pintle did not rest on a backing plate. Rather, they rested on washers on top of piles of what appears to be old sealant (picture attached).

All the schematics I've seen on this board show a backing plate, but also 4 bolts. Does anyone know if hulls of this vintage (with 3 bolts) came with backing plates for the pintle? I'm thinking of just having one fabricated from 1/4 inch stainless steel.

Thanks,
Howard

Attachments:
IMG_0269.jpg
IMG_0269.jpg [ 180.85 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Pintle Backing Plate
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2019 20:23 
Midshipman

Howard,

I have hull 22, it's a 3 bolt, and it has a stainless backing plate that is +/- 1/4 inch in thickness.

Doug
Kinsale #22

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2019 20:49 
Skipper

Yes, backing plate. Jeez that's ugly, but mine didn't look very good, either. I had the bolt heads and the pintle pin welded all the way around, the pintle drilled laterally and a 1/8" pin through the side of it and the pintle pin, and a 1/8" pin set in the bushing. I figger it's good for as long as I need it. Get the skeg all buggered up and ready to mount, cut down to size, tape it to the hull and secure it, spray down from above with black paint to locate the holes for drilling the top of the skeg. The only 3 bolt pintle I looked at had staggered holes like that. Go slow, sit and stare for awhile before cutting or using a caulking gun. I notice dampness at the bottom of my rudder, so I yanked it and am cutting the stbd side out and going to re-foam, re-glass and re-seal.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2019 22:35 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the quick replies! I will go ahead and get the backing plate made.

Pintle is actually in very good shape, but will need a new skeg/fairing. I'm considering making one from a mold based on hull #75 (parked right next to me, believe it or not!).

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2019 08:38 
Skipper

I decided the better part of valor was to just order one from Tartan. It's way overpriced for what it is, but the hours to fabricate one didn't balance out.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2019 18:33 
Rail Meat

Good point. I'll probably go that route.

Profile Email