Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W50 Fresh water pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: W50 Fresh water pump
PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019 07:48 
Skipper

Lol, one problem with the running it hard before I really need it is the only place for me to go now is out a rocky exit channel into the Exuma Sound. Smile Yeah, I was thinking that I'd go ahead and buy another pump that had the same mounting holes next chance I get. I probably didn't explain it best above, but the only real difference is the one hole that is a 3/4 inch to the side of where it should be. It's the top most hole. The pump I removed had two holes there. One that was used and one in the location that the new pump has that wasn't used. So, the original pump would have been universal to also fit the MG I guess. The two holes where I used spacers could have been solved by sourcing a couple shorter bolts. Holiday runs at 180. It just takes a while to get her up there. How quickly does the overheating occur if there is an air lock at the water heater in neutral at around 1500 rpms, give or take?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019 20:08 
Skipper

My guess is if you get it up to 180 and it stops getting hotter, you’re probably fine.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019 10:05 
Skipper

Well, it worked so far! The morning we left, I ran the engine in neutral for over a half hour and finally got it up to about 180. Was still a little nervous that it might change once we got going. Stuck right at 180 or just below all day at any RPMs. Guess we didn't get the dreaded air lock, and we didn't do anything to prevent it either. Maybe just lucky? We literally filled from the expansion tank to the top, then filled the overflow tank to just above midway. Fired up the engine with the petcock on the thermostat open. Saw a few air bubbles coming up through the hose to the overflow tank. Had to add maybe a cup of extra mixture to get the overflow tank back to midway. Couldn't find any other bleed screws or petcocks. Unless they are there, and I just couldn't find them, anyone else reading the instructions on the tech section about coolant changes in the over heating section should disregard that part too. It's very confusing....especially for someone like me that tries to follow step by step instructions to a "T".

Now, I'll just watch for leakage around the pump body since I only used three mounting bolts. But, really I don't think it's going to be a problem. Success!...and fingers crossed as we reprovision in George Town and start looking for weather to head further south.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2019 20:29 
Skipper

I've drained and filled a W50 at less ten times and never did more than, fill, run and check. Only the first time did we use the small valve at the thermostat. You're good to go.

You might want to hop on the weak cold front on Thursday, with NE in the high teens.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2019 12:01 
Skipper

We're at 18.3 N 64.89 W right now, working, but will be flying back into Portland ME on Thursday for a couple weeks of snow removal and mandatory penance. Then back down here. Weather's been great. Down here, I mean.

Profile Email