Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W50 Fresh water pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: W50 Fresh water pump
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019 21:58 
Skipper

The MGB, think I used mid 70s water pump works, the last one I got was $39 lifetime warranty. May of been an extra mounting hole that needed grinding off, I had an oversized alternator that it fouled.

Also took the two FW hoses to the auto parts store and found one hose that gave me both. Don't have the P/Ns, gave my book away with the old engine with the crossover P/Ns.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2019 15:56 
Skipper

Do the ones on this link look right? 1971 MG MGB Base 4 Cyl 1.8L is the first one for $43.53. https://www.jcwhitney.com/results/?N=0& ... 4294965468

I'll be shipping this to the Bahamas so want to get the right one on the first try. Will I need to grind something off it? Thanks for any help. Zach

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2019 22:31 
Skipper

Zach, I'm not certain, I let my parts book with part crossovers go with the old beast. I remember taking the part to the auto parts store to match up. There are two different part numbers out there. See the link. Also where are you at in the Exumas? We just came out of the park heading to GT.

http://mgparts.co.nz/b-series-water-pumps-which-one/

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019 08:06 
Skipper

I bought the GMB 113-1050 and am having it shipped to Staniel Cay. Not sure which one it matches in the link you sent or which one in the link is the right one. Going to hang around this area until it gets here. Hopefully it's the right one. Guess I'll just have to wait and see. Probably won't do the change til George Town. Maybe you can have a look at it if you're still there.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019 15:12 
Skipper

Don't forget you may have to grind on it to fit. We just left Big Majors this morning, over at Black PT. Caught a nice Mutton Snapper sailing around. Another T37 just left here 10 min ago, out of Mobjack Bay Va. Will keep a look out for you. Hope the pump works out for you. George Town is a good place to start a project, lots of resources and shops. Did a transmission there two years ago.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2019 16:28 
Skipper

When refilling the system, where are the air bleed petcocks? The only petcock we can find is on top of the thermostat. Please help!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2019 18:35 
Skipper

I’m pretty sure that’s the only one. I fill slowly from the fill cap and squeeze the hoses as I go to squeeze out air. The big issue will be the water heater and the only way I know to do it is to fill the system, bleed the air from the top and then run the engine hard to push the air bubble through. For me, the temp just kept climbing up to around 220 until the bubble pushed through. The temp dropped very rapidly to 180 and stayed put. That you are at this point suggests that the water pump you bought fits?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2019 18:39 
Skipper

Another way to purge the water heater would be to disconnect it at each end up at the engine. Connect a garden hose to one side and run it until clear water comes out the other side. Then reconnect to the motor. Take the water amount into consideration when you dilute your antifreeze. Shouldn’t be much.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2019 21:54 
Skipper

Got ya. Yeah, the instructions in the tech section talk about petcocks and air bleed valves that don't seem to exist.

As far as the pump, I did buy the right one in terms of length and width. I did have to cut off the extra mounting hole. I did it with a hacksaw. Took about 10 minutes. The other problems were that two of the holes I needed to use a nut as a spacer since the pump body was thinner.

The biggest potential problem is that one mounting hole didn't line up. I could have drilled a hole in the pump or drilled and tapped a new hole in the engine, but I decided to just leave it and go with three bolts. So far so good. Thoughts?

As far as the bleeding or air locks, I ran the engine in nuetral for over 10 minutes with as high as 1800 rpms. Never got over 165 degrees.

Does that mean I'm good or when I put it in gear, is there a chance it will over heat? I feel like I may be ok? Would love to get some reassurance before I head out the Rocky cut at Emerald Bay on Great Exuma.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2019 07:19 
Skipper

I would take it out for a hard ride before you NEED it to be reliable just to be sure. As far as the mounting holes are concerned, if it was me, I would hang on to the old pump and keep trying to source to correct replacement. I’m pretty sure it is out there. For less than $50 I think it’s worth having the correct pump. Maybe you can post a picture of your old pump and the winter bound slueths in the north can have a mission that someone else is paying for! The last time I was aboard Esprit, I tried to get a look and a picture of the pump but belts and pulled in the way and it was 20 degrees f. Also, interesting that Holiday runs at 165. Esprit runs at 180 and always has. I like the higher temp for the sake of water condensation in the oil but with this engine, I wouldn’t change a single thing that is working except the oil and impeller!

Profile Email