Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Need suggestions for Windlass

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:14

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need suggestions for Windlass
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019 10:26 
Rail Meat

We want to replace our manual windlass with an electric and are looking for recommendations. We currently have a Simpson Lawrence 555 manual, with dual anchors - 44lb CQR with 60' of 5/16" chain and 60' rode. second anchor is 44 lbs Bruce with 60' 1/4" chain and 60' rode.

We are planning to sail from Kingston, On. to Bahamas and DR next year. Would this setup be adequate for our planned cruising grounds or should be consider something different? Should we go to a single anchor with more chain? Do we need two anchors?

Your recommendations would be appreciated.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Need suggestions for Windlass
PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019 21:07 
Skipper

Holiday has one anchor on the bow, a 55 lb Mantus with 180 foot of chain followed by a couple hundred feet of 8 plait rope. We are in the Bahamas currently and headed for the DR. We've got a big Fortress as our second anchor on the stern rail. Haven't used more than one anchor but a couple of times and only then when med mooring to mangroves in Sisters Creek in Marathon. The one big anchor and all chain seems to always work. That said, having the option of two anchors on the bow sounds nice too.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2019 21:13 
Skipper

Oh, and we have the Lewmar V1 windlass. Replaced the motor once but don't know how old it was. Other than that, it works great. I'm sure there are better out there.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019 15:24 
Rail Meat

Zach, Does your windlass run off of the house batteries, or do you keep a separate battery closer to the bow? What do you use for rode on the Fortress? BTW, Great videos!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2019 20:36 
Skipper

It runs off the house. The previous owner installed large gauge wire from the windlass back there, and we've never had issue. The rode for the fortress is 40 feet of chain and a couple hundred feet of 3 strand. I keep it in a mesh bag in the cockpit lazarette so I can grab it quick if needed.... although I've never really needed it. Glad you like the videos!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019 13:31 
Skipper

Having cruised the area you are going, I second everything that Zach suggested. Probably going to need at least 100’ of chain with the coral bottoms there—-I carried 240’ and that was overkill. You might want 140’ just so you do not run the splice a lot over the windlass gypsy. I would recommend 150’ of stretchy stuff behind that. I have 200’ of three strand, but that is probably over kill. You do not need a gigantic anchor (IMHO—weight in chain is much more important and so is technique) yours will be fine. I do not like the Bruce in sand, but others will differ. I would suggest, as Zach did, that you have some small anchor to deploy from the stern to help you position the boat into swells in some open roadstead—with a short length of chain and 100’ of something stretchy.
I carried 4 anchors on my trip from San Francisco to Maine via the Panama Canal over two years and had the second anchor down once. The largest anchor I carried was a 35 CQR (Two similarly Large Danforths) and a 13lb Danforth stern anchor that I actually used twice. I stayed put, always and had a few 30+kt blows. Having rode ready to go in buckets (so it can be attached quickly and will run free with the bitter end secured) is an important safety thing IMHO. If you need the security of an extra anchor, there is not going to be time to go hunting and organizing.
I had the equivalent of a V1 windlass (mine was Simpson Lawrence). Just make sure not to use ANY windlass to back down on—-Maybe if you have a $4000 Lighthouse it will take those forces, but most recreational windlasses are only for lifting the weight of your gear, the bearings are not designed to take the pressure of your boat and its enginge backing down—-don’t ask how I learned this. Install a chain stopper with a good backing plate between the windlass and the bow roller. I ran cables from my main bank—but make sure they are big enough—I used 0 guage. You will want a high power washdown that you can easily mount on a tee off the sink drain in a T37.
FWIW
Ray Durkee
Castine Maine

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2019 14:22 
Skipper

On a tee off the sink drain? Richard at Newfound Metals is duly enamoured with his new quick connect water fitting enough to begin marketing them to homeowners as well. Quite a unit, and i was thinking of just plumbing it from below the waterline, thru hull and valve, high loop and to the fitting, snap on a quick hose and washdown. The high loop would just be to not worry about closing the valve every use.

Oh, and I'm going with the V1, pretty much as Velera says, probably a Mantus and a big Fortress and a lunch hook on short chain and rode. Watch Defender. They had the V1 for $799 with 200' of rode and some chain awhile back, then the ad evaporated to $1200 or so, then $899, then $1,200 for the windlass only. Strange.

I hope you're somewhere where snow removal isn't part of life right now, Ray. Even Peter Vogell flies back from Florida for the Town Council meetings.

Profile Email