Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hooligan Refit Continues - Exterior

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hooligan Refit Continues - Exterior
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2019 23:20 
Skipper

I would not recommend crossing the hoses. Your boat will not drain when heeled or listing as well—-if you think about it, that is exactly when you want it to drain—i have heard this idea before and it does not make sense. I have never had water come up through them and I have been broached by a wave. Frankly, there is no bridge deck with the T37 so the water is going down into the cabin anyway if you have one come aboard. I had a discussion with Olin Stephens about that (on board my boat!) and he smiled and said, “do you really want to keep several tons of water (from a boarding wave) up here in the cockpit or would rather have it go below where it will be more stable?” I get the point.
I replaced the cockpit hoses, but not the nylon through hull fittings. The cockpit hoses were made of exhaust hose and were not checked or cracked and really did not need replacing. I looked at the nylon through hull fittings which exit at the water line and throught that I would never close them and made a mental note to make sure to never put something heavy and loose back there.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019 08:49 
Skipper

I'll have a look at the angle and the heights of the outlets. Seems as though these are pretty high and you may be right. Which would mean to me on a hard reach nothing drains quickly. But I don't know the boat . . . yet. The closer the cockpit sole to the waterline, the more problematic. If on a steep heel on a reach the hull drain hole is higher than the scupper, or even close, I'd agree. It's friggin' zero degrees out and the boat is 20 minutes away. Are the drains below the static waterline? If so, they get Marelon valves that may never be used. My focus right now is on the pintle assembly and the Newfound Portlights. If I don't get this jig back to Richard pretty soon, he's keeping my deposit.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2019 22:18 
Skipper

The drain holes for the cockpit scuppers are exactly at the static line. I thought about putting valves on them when I rebuilt my boat, but thought I would never get to them if there was a problem. I did not want to put something metal there. I have plugs available if something happens down there. I sailed my boat for 25 years and probably more than 50K miles (one trip from California to Maine via the Panama Canal) and really never worried much about the scuppers. I did replace all the rest of the through hull fittings. Only one had a protential problem.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2019 10:11 
Skipper

To stop water from coming in in an emergency. My Bristol 35 and Pearson 10m both had scupper drains below the waterline. Any hole in the boat below the waterline needs to be closeable. Wooden plugs do it, but if you've ever tried to drive a wooden plug into a even a weak firehose . . . I guess I'm just a safety freak. I had one boat sink at the dock (shaft log issue). A friend had his boat sink because he didn't close the shutoff or through hull on his sink drain. It managed to get a suction going, filled the sink, overflowed, down she goes.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019 09:33 
Skipper

I've never been too concerned using the white hose. Replace it every few years. I have a tendency to scan/inspect everything when I'm in the lockers in any event. Seen too many things go awry. One thing I've never been able to fathom is the heavily ribbed hoses used everywhere, especially for bilge pumps. You want to lift fluid, you use a smooth bore.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019 11:14 
Skipper

There is a reason for the ribbed hoses I recently learned. I replaced some of my hoses with smooth ones for the reason you mention. While it is true they provide less friction, if there is any bend over a few degrees, they will begin to constrict and close off over time and the suction of the pump encourages collapse. I put all smooth hoses on my Folkboat and had to go back to the ribbed ones where ever there is any kind of bend.
FWiW

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2019 12:01 
Skipper

I use the wire-lined heavy duty trident or vetus hose, which worked great. Depends on the run as far as kinking/suction is concerned. I just looked up the prices for that stuff - it's been 7 years since I refit the Navy Utility in California. Holy, holy smokes! Pricey.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019 07:43 
Tactictian

Hi Tom,
Nice job your doing on Hooligan, giving me ideas !

Hull #439

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019 15:22 
Rail Meat

Ohh man, Tom, this is fantastic. I have hull 369 under refit right now and I may have to revisit some things!

Beaufort, SC

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019 09:05 
Skipper

Yeah. More photos please. One thing I'm going to ask the metal shop to do is maybe put a vertical center brace in my pulpit between the top and bottom rails centered forward. The whole thing is kind of flimsy, and hanging any kind of anchor off it, even a Fortress, doesn't look like a good idea.

And the bow roller, which appears to be original, has two lousy bolts in it. I'm going to stop at Hamilton Marine on the way home today and fondle bow rollers, windlasses and sundry other shiny things. A marine store with shopping carts. Dangerous.

Profile Email