Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - 1986 Tartan 37 Refit

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 08:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 1986 Tartan 37 Refit
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017 22:08 
Midshipman

I am sharing photos (Flicker) of a refit I went through on my Tartan in 2013. The refit took about 9 months. Although the majority of the heavy lifting was professionally done, I spent weekends and many weekday evenings doing side projects and helping the shop out.(or creating more work as we found other items to rebuild, lol). Hope these photo's will be useful to members considering a project that may involve the areas exposed.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/141567369@N05/R651ui

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: 1986 Tartan 37 Refit
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017 09:09 
Skipper

Wow!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2017 11:18 
Skipper

Wow what a job! I can't imagine doing all that, thanks for the photos!!!

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018 16:32 
Midshipman

Erewhon wrote:
I am sharing photos (Flicker) of a refit I went through on my Tartan in 2013. The refit took about 9 months. Although the majority of the heavy lifting was professionally done, I spent weekends and many weekday evenings doing side projects and helping the shop out.(or creating more work as we found other items to rebuild, lol). Hope these photo's will be useful to members considering a project that may involve the areas exposed.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/141567369@N05/R651ui

Many thanks for sharing these!

#66 Splash

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018 20:05 
Skipper

Lots of great work, congrats! Cheers

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2018 17:33 
Tactictian

Holy Cow !
Nice work !

Hull #439

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018 06:04 
Midshipman

I'm soon to begin, well, finish, #347's refit. Your work was done in Michigan I presume?

At the moment I'm shopping for where I want it done. Does anyone have a strong recommendation?

Anyone know of Amityville boatyard? I saw a post they did a T37. Or Port Annapolis for a refit? Where would you have your boat done?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018 11:29 
Skipper

I use to have yards I would turn a boat over to, not currently. Where are you, you need to be close enough to check in on the girl.

I love seeing these T37s restored. I feel like I'm doing it one piece at a time, LOL.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2018 14:55 
Skipper

Certainly the most extensive renovation (this is more than a refit in my book) of a T37. Seems like you had an uncommon amount of voids and damage to fix. Have owned my T37 #373 for 25 years and have renovated and opened or replaced just about every part of it. There were things that they worked on here where there were problems I experienced: the deck had voids in it where it should have been filled with something (around your deck fills) but I had no indication any where of massive water intrusion in the cores or chain plates as I see here. It seems your boatyard went to extremes in some areas with replacement process, but I was not there to see all they saw. I stripped my outside below the water hull down to one glass layer a way from the balsa core (a huge over reaction to some gelcoat blisters) and found some minor voids and some improperly wetted out areas, but no water intrusion damage as I expected. I recently hit a rock at 7 knots that required the rebuilding of the floor timbers and floor. While I was not impressed with what I saw under there (lots of epoxy putty stuck in places just to get the floor level and poorly tacked down cross timbers) there was nothing structural there.
You undoubtedly have a much better boat than the one that came out of the factory, but I wonder how the one that came out of the factory got so many troubles in such a short time. BTW many folks should be looking, at a minimum, at all their through hull fittings. As your picture shows—it is a bitch to get the old ones out and to properly recess new ones in place, but you probably do not want to wait until the neck of one of these fittings breaks from internal corrosion.
Nice pictures. Scary amount of work was done. I will not ask about the yard bill. I paid $14K to peel, replace and fair the glass on my hull in 1993–I think that job would cost at least double that now. I have probably rebought the boat 3x in maintenance costs over the years. Just part of owning most any boat.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2019 21:53 
Midshipman

I had my boat refitted by Ship Shape Marine out of Port Clinton Ohio. Mike Gedert was the shipwright that did the work and I would ask for him. Yacht Services Ltd out of Amityville NY has a few videos of a Tartan refit that is far more extensive.

As to the gentleman's comment on the extent or work. A lot of the work was a function of "given it is open lets improve on this too". The boat would still be sailing today just fine if in did none of this I'm sure. The bad core in the hull was only around the head area (where pictures show head room completely removed) at sometime in the past the boat was hit or was riding on a sunken piling and repair was a half measure. The survey identified this and the yard that I bought the boat from "patch" it up on the outside (lesson learned). A more thorough inspection a year later after I bought her showed moisture in this area. The inner layer of glass was removed on the inside to access and replace the wet core. To gain access, the pan liner in the head had to be cut in half to get to the damage and while it was out why not improve the pan liner so it is better at keeping water off of wood. This is an example of project creep.

The pictures are intended to show some of the guts of our beautiful boats and what folks might see when things are removed. Looking back on all of this I tell friends that are not inclined to burn cash and time on a refit to pay the price for the most cared for boat one can find with owners that what to make sure you will be a good caretaker of their love. Good well kept boats are undervalued and boats that are poorly fitted out and need work are generally over valued. Unfortunately the bell curve on the market dictates the value of our boats.

Warm Regards,

John

Profile Email