Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Starboard water tank replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 07:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starboard water tank replacement
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018 10:38 
Skipper

Still working through it. Leightons can definitely build a replacement, but it's $1500. He actually used to work for Kracor and recommended I try contacting another vendor besides Tartan. He said that it should be only about $500. The guy is really nice and helpful. I'm trying one more time with finding a different vendor of Kracor. Then, I'll have to decide $1500 for close to an exact replacement or bladders which may be difficult to get the same capacity. Or research stainless steel.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2018 15:36 
Skipper

Tank Depot is the largest vendor of plastic tanks, doesn't look like they sell Kracor, but they do custom builds. Kracor was recently bought by Yamaha Marine.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2018 15:04 
Skipper

Finally got the tank ordered through Tartan. $850 plus shipping. Kracor lead time is 8 weeks. Such a frustrating experience dealing with this Chris Ranney at Tartan. He is absolutely awful. If you need something from them, Carrie who answers the phone if you press zero for the operator is helpful. I also was able to get email responses from a person named Shelly Kramp. Her signature says Purchasing Manager with extension 5146. Once I was able to start communicating with these two, I basically forced the order through by also calling Kracor. Without my extra effort, it would have taken who knows how long to finally get the tank ordered. In the 2 weeks I tried to order, I called Chris probably 50 times and emailed him about 20 times. Only ever got one response from him by email before the final order email which I arranged through Carrie, Shelly, and Kracor. Can you tell I'm pissed and aggravated????!!! Jeez

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018 09:05 
Skipper

As a consumer, any company wants you to consume their "new" stuff and not something that is 40 years old.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018 09:40 
Skipper

After 12 weeks I finally just got aggravated, called Tartan, and cancelled my tank order for a refund. It's unbelievable, but in the entire time, Chris Ranney at Tartan never once spoke to me on the phone and would only occasionally answer emails. Calls go to his voicemail, and it is full. I would get any info by speaking to the secretaries that answered the phone or calling Kracor directly. A lot of the blame is on Kracor, but Chris Ranney's inaction and unavailability is just awful. If you need anything from Tartan.....good luck to you. I'll never do business with them again.

Anyways, I've ordered the 52 gallon Plastimo flexible water tank. I'm laying down rubber interlocking tiles in the bilge for protection and ventilation (I scraped out the foam stuff under the old tank). Then I'll put memory foam carpet underlay on top of the tiles and up all the walls. Going to secure all that with double sided extreme mounting tape. Once I get that all in, I'll figure out how to secure the tank from shifting around too much. Thinking I'll also cover any hose clamps with neoprene.

My old tank is gone so not using it for a case for the bladder like others have done. Plus the 52 gallon bladder is 69" empty (should be about 60" full), and the tank is only 55" long. I'll be the guinea pig here to see how it fits. I think it'll be just right, but the memory foam may be pressed into the forward area close to where my water pump is. Will let everyone know how I manage this.

At $170, I can experiment for a while when we are out cruising and go through a few bladders before I'd come anywhere near feeling like we should have shelled out $1000-$2000 for a different tank solution. We've been waiting for the other tank to head off to the Bahamas so we'll be giving the Plastimo a field trial right away.

A note on the volume of our large tank that is supposed to be 65 gallons. We could only ever get about 7 of our 6 gallon Reliance jugs to fit in it. I had guessed/hoped that more than 6 gallons actually fit in those when completely filled. So, we tested with a gallon milk jug. 6 gallons and maybe an extra tenth of a gallon when completely filled. The top of our old water tank was a little concave, but we now know we were only getting 40-42 gallons in it (45 at the most). Also, the small tank fits just shy of 4 of the Reliance jugs making it 25 gallons at the absolute most.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2018 10:44 
Skipper

Zack,I had to replace my port tank and found one at Ronco that was’almost’ identical. Apparently they are better than Kraco,also,if you ask for comercial discount and ship to a boatyard there is a big saving.
I was trying to buy something from Chris Ranney, no reply to office phone message,cell phone message or e mail!
I complained about him to the Annapolis show staff .
I Vero Beach heading to Bahamas.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2018 20:50 
Skipper

Hey Timshel, I spoke with with Ronco quite a few times, but the best thing they have that will fit in the starboard side is 30 gallons. That large tank is a real particular shape, and no one has a mold for it in stock except Kracor. Ronco is definitely the way to go for a port tank replacement like you say though.

I think we had a rigging inspection by the same company as you did the day after yours. They said they had just done a Tartan 37 called Timshel and were telling us how nice your boat was. We're in Jacksonville. Should leave here heading south in a few days then head to the Bahamas too.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018 10:12 
Skipper

Install of the Plastimo bladder is done. We doubled up on the carpet underlay for extra protection. The rubber tiles and first layer of underlay are taped with extreme double sided mounting tape. The top layer of underlay That we custom cut to fit under, up, and all around the tank is not taped, and the thought is it will "float" with the tank movement. We also covered the wood stringers running above the tank with foam as there were some screw tips protruding. Good thing too because when we filled the tank up, it takes up the ENTIRE space. I don't think you could fit more water down there. So, that's good in terms of space usage. I didn't end up securing the tank to anything yet. It seems like attachment points would only create stress rather than take it away since the tank fits tightly. We'll see though. I'm going to monitor it all and make changes as needed. As far as the length. It goes right up to the water pump area forward. Before we started filling we had the aft end about 4 or so inches up the fridge bulk head to allow for shrinking as the tank grew upward. Couldn't be any longer (which rules out the Vetus 58 gallon tank at 80". The Nauta 52 gallon tank would probably fit, but it is more expensive than Plastimo and worse reviews). Check out the pics. Let me know if anyone has questions.

Attachments:
IMG_20181216_103714926.jpg
IMG_20181216_103714926.jpg [ 1.19 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20181215_115621171.jpg
IMG_20181215_115621171.jpg [ 1.37 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20181215_121357252.jpg
IMG_20181215_121357252.jpg [ 322.14 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20181215_130328342.jpg
IMG_20181215_130328342.jpg [ 634.93 KB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20181216_115412231.jpg
IMG_20181216_115412231.jpg [ 1.58 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20181216_130415126.jpg
IMG_20181216_130415126.jpg [ 1.08 MB | Viewed 0 times ]
IMG_20181216_130431945.jpg
IMG_20181216_130431945.jpg [ 1.02 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018 10:30 
Skipper

Can't believe that you never got the tank, shame on Tartan. I always felt that there was no way a T37 could hold 90 gals of water...even with the hot water tank and sinks full.

The install looks good, a couple comments. Remember that the bunk slides out, so the cross braces will pull across the tank and nothing can be permanently attached between the braces and sides.

I wonder if the frame can take the live G-forces of hitting waves. Racing to Bermuda, we came off a freak wave top and slammed into the next wave. The force split the fuel tank wide open and dislodged the water tank. A flexible tank with 400 lb of live weight can provide a very large load. That carbon fiber race boat was a very well built.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018 17:29 
Skipper

The tank completely full is still below the braces. The bunk slides and doesn't touch the top of the tank. I think thats what you are mentioning there.

We've wondered the same thing about the frame as a whole containing the tank if we get into rough seas. I guess if we come down below and find the tank laying in the center of the salon with wood splinters everywhere, we'll have our answer. Lol.

If we get caught in those kind of conditions, the broken frame will be the least of my worries. Lindy will have probably beaten me senseless and told me we cant live on a boat anymore anyways. Smile

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next