Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Starboard water tank replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starboard water tank replacement
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2018 19:48 
Skipper

Here is the sketch with dimensions I sent Ronco that they responded to. The figures are exact to what I found later for the original tank from Kracor. Kracor has an 8 week back log. Would love to find out Ronco can do it.

Attachments:
1536281113603_IMG_20180904_093631017.jpg
1536281113603_IMG_20180904_093631017.jpg [ 3.28 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018 07:27 
Skipper

Maybe something has changed. Hopefully JPA will weigh in again with additional detail if there is anything to add. I know he had the work done by the boatyard but I don't know if he sourced the tank directly of if someone at the yard did that.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018 09:50 
Skipper

I know some think that the stbd tank is 60gal and port is 30gal for a total of 90gal. After owner a T37 for 24years there is no way we hold 90gals, even if you count the hot water heater and both sinks. I'm pretty certain port is 25gal and stbd a 50gal, that's measuring with jerry jugs. Looking at the Kracor 5069 looks like a match and is rated for 65gals, that's hard for me to believe. I replaced the port tank last year and it's a Ronco B470 Water Tank. Its a exact match and is only 25gals. I ordered direct, you can use a made up marine service name or a friend's company name and you'll get the discount and can order. The lead time when I ordered last year was 7-10day to ship, plus 5 to ship. I have weld repaired tanks before, and worked for 5 years. If you are tearing the boat up to get to it out, I would replace.

Here is the fitting locations for the port. If we can get the dimension for stbd that would great to keep for reference.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2018 10:50 
Skipper

I'll get the dimensions for the ports soon. I have had the same experience as you with jerry jugs but always wondered if the actual gallons of the jugs was when they were less than full or something. Plus the fact that the top to my now removed starboard tank was concave for some reason.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2018 10:00 
Skipper

Anyone have another method to contact JPANEAVITT? I'm struggling so far with Tartan and Kracor and would like more info on Ronco. I tried the "email" function from the member area of the forum but not sure that goes through to him. Thanks, Zach

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018 10:54 
Rail Meat

Zach- Unfortunately, I do not have the information regarding the starboard tank replacement. I believe that it was through Ronco. It was done years back and, I believe that the tank was ordered through Oxford Boatyard which is where the work was done. I would doubt that they have any records of the order for the tank replacement as OBY has been sold at least 3 times since it was done. I am guessing that the work was done 8 or 9 years ago. I have contacted the current manager who was manager at the time of the work to determine if they have any information on the job. If I have anything further I will get back to you.

Peirce Anderson

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018 11:50 
Skipper

I really appreciate it Peirce. I have also reached back out to Ronco just to have them double check and to check on the possibility of 2 25-30 gallon tanks. The frustration is with Tartan and Kracor who have the exact replacement and are proving very slow to respond. I'm also now looking at the Plastimo bladders. Anyone have experience there? Will keep everyone posted as well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018 11:51 
Rail Meat

Zach- Surprisingly, the Manager of Oxford Boatyard, was able to dig back through past records to find that the replacement tank was made by Leighton's Plastic Welding, of Stonington, Maine. (207) 367-2218) and <leightonplasticweld.com>. Their snail mail address is North Stonington Rd., Stonington, ME 04681.
The purchase order from OBY was PO#37643. The order was filled in 2009. I suspect that Leighton's Plastic Weld will have a copy of the PO and what tank was sent. Unfortunately, the OBY records were not decipherable as to the P/N but did show that it was a 65 gallon tank. I do know that it fit right in place with no major re-configuring.
I hope this is helpful.

Peirce Anderson

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018 12:29 
Skipper

I have already spoken with Stan at Leighton's in just a few minutes after reading your post. He is very nice and sounds like he'll probably be able to help. I'm really hoping I'm able to do business with this guy instead of Tartan/Kracor who have royally pissed me off. Will keep everyone posted. Peirce, I really appreciate this info!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2018 19:39 
Skipper

If having a custom plastic tank welded up, I would look into a custom SS tank. Know they're several builders down in Fla. Just another option, beside a bladder.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 Posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next