Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Looking for a Tartan 37

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 10:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for a Tartan 37
PostPosted: 04 Sep 2018 07:54 
Rail Meat

After 10 years on our Tartan 27, we're looking to upgrade to the tartan 37. We've started looking at boats in the NY/NJ area and will be expanding our search.
I know there are a few things to look for, chain plates, leaky portholes, etc. What else should I be looking out for?

RJS
T27 "Wind Drift"

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Looking for a Tartan 37
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2018 10:37 
Skipper

The right boat will jump out and say I'm yours. Check for blisters on bottom with core hull, check deck for soft spots, sails and rigging. Motor is it original? The original Westerbeke is ok, the replacement Beta is better. Look for a New England boat less wear and tear, also less sun fade. While hard to check ask when the last time the rudder and centerboard have been dropped and inspected. Look at the canvas and condition. Then look for a boat set up for the sailing you want to do, racing, coastal cruising or daysailing.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Looking for a Tartan 37
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2018 04:39 
Skipper

Paying a bit more, even a lot more for one in decent shape (engine obviously maintained if not replaced, interior cushions not needing replacement, interior in good shape will tell you how it has been used etc) is a much better financial deal than buying a “bargain boat” with all this to do. Getting a new engine and hot water heater installed is going to cost $20K or more even if you do the work yourself. As has been mentioned, I would buy one with as little intrusion in the deck as possible with owner added stuff (arches, davits etc). There are probably owners and some boat yards who do a good job of “drill and fill” epoxy to prevent deck leaks and delamination, but nearly all used boats have cored decks and this is a risk with any of them. Look for leaks of hand rails, genoa tracks and stanchions. It is possible to fix these leaks, but it is a pain in the butt and time consuming and the esthetic interior damage is hard to fix.

Profile Email