Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Just replaced the Fridge

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Just replaced the Fridge
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018 13:22 
Rail Meat

The Adler Barbour of very old is gone, and the new Dometic Super ColdMachine is humming nicely! We're so happy!!!
Hot Summer blues, bye bye!!!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Just replaced the Fridge
PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018 16:39 
Rail Meat

It was relatively an easy exchange.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018 16:59 
Skipper

Awesome! Our Adler Barber is still going strong, but it seems like it may be one of the older things on the boat. I do notice when we visit other people's boats that you never hear when their compressor comes on. Unlike ours where you can hear it throughout the boat from where it resides in the cockpit lazarette. Is the new one really quiet?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018 17:29 
Skipper

I'd like to hear more about this and the pros/cons of various units. Dometic LOL! Had an antique Dometic gas fridge decades ago. They make water/air and just air cooled units. I guess we need to look at who has good reviews and who don't.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018 19:54 
Skipper

I've got the regular air cooled Adler Barber Cold Machine. We make ice no problem and have zero issues so far. It's pretty noisy though, but we are used to it living on the boat now for 2 years.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018 17:36 
Rail Meat

zdunc wrote:
Awesome! Our Adler Barber is still going strong, but it seems like it may be one of the older things on the boat. I do notice when we visit other people's boats that you never hear when their compressor comes on. Unlike ours where you can hear it throughout the boat from where it resides in the cockpit lazarette. Is the new one really quiet?

Yes it really is quiet, ....the old one was noisy since we bought it going on four years.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2018 18:53 
Skipper

Most of the compressors of these units were made by Danfoss, no matter what the brand--at least historically. I think that may still be the case if you look closely. I don't think the compressors make much noise--or at least they should not since they are sealed and running in oil. The noise is in the external fan. And these old units will run forever if you keep the salt water off them and have the electronic temp control unit (some of the early ones had a electro-mechanical controls that failed a lot--but I would think most of those have been replaced by now). And I have seen units with an old 12v motor and metal fan for the heat exchanger. You can safely and very simply replace this fan with a large computer fan and improve air flow, reduce current draw and reduce noise. I am skeptical of the dinky compressors some are selling at the boat shows no matter how many ice cubes they make for show drinks. Just not sure how they keep up with the less effective refrigerants we must use now to protect the environment--answers from the salespeople have not been reassuring. My 30 year old Adler Barbour was great and froze my beer even during the two years I was in Central America cruising. Still works fine. I think it is a very good idea to suck air from behind the cabinet as has been mentioned. The major problem I have seen in these units is burying them in some hot, unventillated spot and expecting them to perform well. And some of the lids on T 37s were not well insulated or sealed. But the box seems very sealed.
Ray Durkee
T37 #373

Profile Email