Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Sherwood water pump

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 06:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sherwood water pump
PostPosted: 23 May 2017 13:29 
Skipper

Anyone know on the W50 is the model R30G or R30G-1? In the Bahamas, broke down, having one flown in, and don't want to order the wrong part. Thanks! Zach

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Sherwood water pump
PostPosted: 24 May 2017 12:11 
Skipper

For anyone else wondering. I called Tartan, and they said it is the R30G-1. I've got mine on order and hope to be up and running soon.

Lesson learned: raw water pump is a good spare to have on board if traveling far

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017 06:44 
Skipper

I always carried a spare salt pump and fresh pump and had to install both while cruising in out of the way spots. A very good idea with the W50. Also, I think you can get a good machine shop to rebuild your old Sherwood for a lot less than buying a new one. Not sure how many "good" machine shops are around any more, but I did it once.
Ray Durkee
T 37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018 15:11 
Midshipman

zdunc wrote:
For anyone else wondering. I called Tartan, and they said it is the R30G-1. I've got mine on order and hope to be up and running soon.

Lesson learned: raw water pump is a good spare to have on board if traveling far

Where did you end up buying your raw water pump? I noticed this week mine is starting to leak quite heavily from the weep hole and want to find a rebuild kit and/or a replacement quickly.

-Kirk

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018 11:49 
Skipper

Hey Kirk, sorry took me so long to respond. We were away all last week. We actually called Sailor Man in Ft Lauderdale, a big marine warehouse. They sourced it for us and were able to get it to the airplane that flies daily to Staniel Cay.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2018 09:39 
Midshipman

No worries. I couldn't find a direct replacement for my F85 pump but found out that the G65 is the same pump with different sized fittings (3/4NPT instead of 1/2NPT) which actually match the plumbing I have so I'm hoping it should be a direct bolt on swap.

For anyone else looking I purchased the pump for $425 here:
http://marinepumpdirect.com/sherwood-pump-g65/

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018 16:52 
Skipper

Good Information. I had a horror story this weekend with the raw water pump. I noticed the engine was running warmer than normal and maybe there was not as much water coming out with the exhaust. Pretty sure it's vane failure. Got to our night anchorage and after letting things cool off a bit, starting working on the pump. Yep, I've got two vanes left of the twelve. Get the old impeller out easily. But the new impeller doesn't want to go in like it should. Pulled the new impeller back out and the woodruff key fell out of the shaft. Got it back in but not flat on the shaft. While I was pulling the key out, I hit the top of the pump casing and lost my grip on the key. The key bounced about 4 times and as near as I can figure it went under the engine pan. And it's brass, of course.

My bright idea was to rob the key from my spare pump. It came with the boat. Open the spare pump and there is no impeller which makes sense but also no key. So I ended up getting towed back to my home slip which was fortunately only about 8 miles away.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018 08:10 
Skipper

I have 4 spare impellers onboard. I remember when I was young, my dad worried about impeller "memory". Where the vanes would not return to straight at all. It carried over a generation. Very Happy

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018 11:31 
Skipper

The new Sherwood one I ordered came with impeller installed. I have a spare Jabsco that is used. I should probably check and make sure there is an impeller in there. Question: do I need different sized hoses for the different pumps in the event I need to change it out? I think pipe fittings are different size. I could easily check this, but if anyone knows off the top of their head. Thanks

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019 18:26 
Midshipman

Attachment:
strainer-engine.jpg

strainer-engine.jpg [ 397.7 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

So, pulling through hulls here I see I have two strainers(Have not started engine yet--project boat). One up and one down stream of the water pump. Do you suppose this is because the PO was worried about impeller failure? I'm planning to simplify here, dislike the reducers and expanders used to plumb this contraption. Any other observations or suggestions?

#66 Splash

Profile Email