Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Life Sling cover rehab.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 05:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Life Sling cover rehab.
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018 08:08 
Skipper

Spent some time in the sail loft while the wx was ugly and we finally have a replacement for the spider condo. The old cover evaporates in the sun with time and the spiders love it! This one should evoke mass spider protests for removing their home.

Attachment:
File comment: Life Sling Cover.

20180609_120129.jpg

20180609_120129.jpg [ 883.85 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Body is sunbrella, top is the water proof "Plus" version. The pocket for the line to be jammed in is made of phifertex (mesh) as is the bottom so there's some air flow and less chance for mildew if it gets damp.

Revised the top to make a one pull left to right (we're all righties on our crew) and the top will lay off to the side, out of the way for yanking the contents out. Velcro is right at the lip of the cover, all the way around, so no lip for spiders to inhabit.

For any sailrite fans thinking of similar projects...
As with most sail loft projects, this one would be better a second time. Should have made it an inch longer since I inset the bottom an inch so the white phifertex bottom wouldn't sag into view. It worked, but I could use another inch on the top so the cover would lay flat on top. As it is, the lifesling sides take every mm so the sides of the top are packed and the center is mostly empty.

I used piping on the seams connecting the four sides and for the top cover. Used 1" bias binding to seal up the bottom edge and hide the ends of the piping.

The logo was done by printing the logo and cutting out a paper template (split into four sheets of paper and reunited with blue tape.) I used the rubberized fabric on sailrite. It will fade a bit and be less neon in a season of sunlight.

So Spiderville is gone... our transom has been gentrified. (Pardon the ugly teak. Standing by for a toasty day for that effort)

Attachments:
File comment: Life Sling Cover
20180609_120129.jpg
20180609_120129.jpg [ 870.93 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Life Sling cover rehab.
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2018 20:31 
Skipper

Looks good, like the logo. I remade our Life Sling cover out of a white vinyl, and mounted it on the inside of the stern rail, makes a great backrest.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Life Sling cover rehab.
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018 07:39 
Skipper

True. But while that lifesling was off, a storm took our horseshoe buoy that goes inside the rail. Bought a used one as a harbor swap meet for $5 and once it gets a new cover it becomes the back rest in that spot.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email