Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Sanitation Hose Replacement

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sanitation Hose Replacement
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018 13:35 
Tactictian

Replacement of all of my sanitary hoses is a project high on my "To Due List" prior to Spring launch.

It appears that Raritan Saniflex hoses are the most user friendly and still high quality with respect to impermabilty.
I understand that their are better hoses to fend off odors but are very stiff and extremely difficult to work in tight quarters.

I'm looking for recommendations, comments, lessons learned on sanitary hose upgrade/ replacement.

Thanks in advance.
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia, Hull #336.
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Sanitation Hose Replacement
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018 13:10 
Tactictian

Thanks for the feedback.
I plan on clearing out a few lines. Getting rid of the macerator pump & discharge lines. Maybe I'll have a bit more room and be able to use PVC elbows.
Regards.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018 17:27 
Skipper

Use Raritan Saniflex, you won't be able to install the other. The white hose gives a very good look. Don't go cheap here. I replaced the tank so the suction and discharge come out the top.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018 11:15 
Skipper

I have posted this before, but in my 26 years of owning Velera, I have never had a stink. I did replace the hoses with the expensive ones once a long time ago, just because the originals were cracked. The previousl owner told me to flush the head regularly with fresh water from the sinks (look at the plumbing and it should be obvious how to do this) rather than sea water intake. Alternating sea and fresh and always leaving fresh water in the system eliminates the stuff that grows in the hoses—primarily the intake, surprisingly. Also, complete flushing (at least 15 pumps for poo) and no paper in the head keeps the thing working and not jamming.
Care goes a long way to eliminating stink.
Ray Durkee
Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018 13:13 
Tactictian

Ray,
Thanks for posting your comments.

My boat came from Maine last summer and is currently on the hard on the shores of Lake Superior in Bayfield, WS for the winter. The odor was getting a little better each time we pumped out, which was every time we were at the boat, even just for the weekend.
I also would add a product from Bio Kleen as directed after every pump out. I have also been spraying a product called "Sniper" on the hoses and closet walls ( portside closet, in the V Berth) that kills mold. My wife is more sensitive to any odor than I, so Happy Wife is Happy Sailing Life...

Since nothing really grows in the cold waters of Lake Superior, perhaps my boat will soon be as odor free as yours.
There is one hose that permeates odor when wiped down.

I read an article that someone wrapped their sanitary hoses with metal tape since they claimed metal won't permeate odors thru the hoses. I wonder if any fellow T37 sailors have had any luck with metal tape or know of a better product to add to the tank. I'm all ears..

There's a rats nest of hoses and a "Y" valve under my sink that I want to get rid of and help simplify my sanitary system.

Maybe I only need to replace a few hoses and not all of them ?..
Regards,
Nick.
S/V Angela Mia
Hull #336
Lake Superior.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018 21:41 
Skipper

Others may have more actual experience, but I have heard that once the old hoses get permeated with stink, you gotta replace them. I never had that problem because my previous owner was fastidious—lived on board for some time with no smell.
FWIW.
Ray Durkee
Velera

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018 14:55 
Rail Meat

We fought the smell for months after purchasing our boat. We replace all of the hoses and still had an issue. It turned out that the vent hose was plugged at the thru hull. There are little screens that keep the critters out and are easily plugged. I think Zach from Holiday replaced his with a regular thru hull and had good results. Proper ventilation is crucial to letting the bacteria do its thing. Also make sure the vent hose doesn't have any low spots that could trap water and stop the ventilation. Good luck.

Gil
SV Luego

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018 17:23 
Skipper

That's correct. Those little screens were clogged pretty much completely. I'm surprised the whole system never imploded during a pump out. We used to also get smells sometimes. I installed a regular plastic thru hull there. On the boat as I type in Boot Key Harbor currently. Our weekly pump out is tomorrow (meaning ye ol' tank is full of poop), and no smells other that the eggplant lasagna Lindy is making in the galley! Smile

Profile Email