Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull #479 reporting in from Oz

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:34

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull #479 reporting in from Oz
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2017 21:40 
Rail Meat

Hi All,

The last few months has seen Antipodean T-37 owners outing themselves on this site; Hull #9 Rani and hull #301 Adios III in Australia, and hull #119 Rouser in New Zealand. Well, the pressure is on so we figured it was our turn to come clean…Hull # 479 Kleine Vis, a 1986 centreboarder, reporting in from Australia.

We bought Kleine Vis in Sydney three years ago and after replacing her electronics and ditching the CNG stove/oven (you can’t buy that stuff easily here) sailed her up to Cairns. A 2400 nm trip is a fine way to get to know your boat and we finished that one wearing big smiles of satisfaction.

Aside from pulling out the starboard water tank for repairs we haven’t had to do too much other than standard maintenance. We’ve added a bimini, sun covers and a scuba compressor. We’ll be replacing the original 2-blade prop in a month or so in the desperate hope that with a 3-blade feathering prop I (D) might be able to figure out how to maneuver in close quarters under power.

Our home port is Cairns and we sail mostly in the Great Barrier Reef and the Coral Sea. We'd sail a lot more but we keep getting distracted by diving.

David and Frederieke

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #479 reporting in from Oz
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2017 04:45 
Rail Meat

They are indeed beautiful cruising grounds. Lovely sailing though the anchorages (usually just behind a reef) can be a bit exposed. Still they generally have lovely diving.

It took a while but I did eventually learn that trick - give her enough power in reverse to get her moving, cut back to neutral until she heads in the right direction, then into reverse again, and, in theory it should be a happy story... I still manage somehow to make it a drama a bit too often. Perhaps continuing to cut in and out gear as you suggest is the way to go. I'll get there.

Profile Email