Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Westerbeke 40 50 differences

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 12:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westerbeke 40 50 differences
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017 12:22 
Midshipman

Can someone speak to the differences between the Westerbeke 40 and 50 installs in our boats? I have the 40 and just wondering if the 50 is a compatible and direct replacement and if not, what differences exist between them. Same transmission? Wiring harness? Other thoughts?

#66 Splash

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke 40 50 differences
PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017 13:51 
Skipper

From what I have read, nothing is a direct swap with a W-50. The engine mount plane and the center line of the propeller shaft are different. However, the issue has always been swapping out the W-50 and installing something else which required cutting the engine sump down and glassing in a new mounting platform. If you are swapping in the W-50, I guess you would be building the platform up and that should be pretty easy (through bolting a length of 2X3 for example). There may even be enough adjustment in the motor mounts to accommodate. Ray has a lot of experience with this and maybe he will weigh in.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2017 13:54 
Midshipman

Thank you for the info!

#66 Splash

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2017 11:41 
Skipper

Here's the data spec sheets for the W40 and W50, both mounts 18" wide and motor mounts down 1.12" from centerline of the crank. I wouldn't think Tartan had different motor pans/bed plate for the different motors used. W30 has same mounts.

https://www.westerbeke.com/advanced%20specs/w40.pdf

https://www.westerbeke.com/advanced%20specs/w50_2.pdf

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2017 18:33 
Skipper

I do not believe you are reading the spec sheet correctly. The distance between the bed and the output of the Hurth transmission is not 1.12. There are several transmissions on this diagram and no direct reading of what the Hurth transmission offset would be that I can see. But I computed it to be something like 1.52 if I remember correctly. Anyone cutting down the bed to install another motor (not as difficult a job as it sounds) should cut it an inch or so lower as you will need room to shim and you can always shim up, but you cannot shim down. The Westerbekes were unique with this arrangement—most replacement marine diesel transmissions will exit at the same height as the engine mounts.

Ray Durkee
Velera

Profile Email