Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Bermuda race entry

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Mar 2024 22:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bermuda race entry
PostPosted: 23 Jun 2016 12:16 
Rail Meat

Hi, all- hopefully this is a simple question.. I'm contemplating entering the Bermuda race for 2018, but was wondering what modifications (if any) might be required from anyone who has done it in the past. I know of one T37 that did the race this year, but contact info isn't readily available.. Likewise, the Bermudarace.com site is quite exhaustive and I was hoping to find a simple list of features required. I've already gone through the entire list and I'm pretty sure the boat I have (1988 model) shouldn't need much in the way of mods, but one thing I haven't seen is any mention of a water tight bulk head, which wouldn't be impossible, but probably a difficult item to tick off the list...

Any help would be most appreciated-

Ray

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Bermuda race entry
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2018 23:58 
Skipper

I've done that race five times on other people boats. We have always finished in the silver. Help getting one boat ready, the owner spent well over $20k, with sails, liferaft and gear. Flares along were $500. The T37 cockpit might need a good looking at, with the dewatering, the cockpit secured to the deck level and watertight. Most of the requirements are good. If I did the work on my T37 and rented the liferaft and sat phone. It would take about $3.5k to get her up to the requirements. AIS, Solas flares, lifelines, storm sails, new hatch boards, new cockpit drains, second navigation lights. Some requirements as a cruiser I don't like, like the lifelines can't have vinyl on them. SS wire will rust your clothes, when you dry them.

From Newport most of the races are on the nose or jib reaching. From a piece of cake, to why I'm I doing this?

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email