Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Westerbeke 40 transmission fluid?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Westerbeke 40 transmission fluid?
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012 19:19 
Rail Meat

I'm preparing to change the transmission fluid on Ventured. I have the Westerbeke 40, and I'm curious what the transmission fluid of choice is?

Thanks!

SV Ventured - Hull #46
www.svventured.wordpress.com

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Westerbeke 40 transmission fluid?
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2012 13:03 
Skipper

I think it might depend on the what transmission you have. My old Hurth HBW 100 took automotive transmission fluid, IIRC.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012 20:06 
Skipper

Take your model number and go to Hurth website. It is probably regular auto ATF, but they vary depending on model number. Do not overfill or you will blow gaskets and make a mess out of it (don't ask me how I know this).

Ray

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2012 21:20 
Skipper

On my W40, the transmission is the "Westerbeke short sailing gear" according to the Westerbeke manual. What mine actually is, is a 'Hurth HBW-10 2R" This is stamped on it. I did some research before and it can take ATF (Dextron II or III equivalent) When you check the fluid level do not screw the dip stick in, only place it in the hole.

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2012 17:35 
Rail Meat

Richard - I have exactly the same transmission, and so far had not been able to find much about it on the internet so thanks, you answered the exact questions I have. Now lets hope fresh fluid to the top of the marker on the dipstick will take solve the grumbling noise I'm hearing when I put the boat in gear.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2015 06:47 
Midshipman

Grumbling noise? Our tach is out of adjustment and I re-set the idle speed down about 90 rpm. Now I too have the "grumbling transmission". I know this is common in most reduction drive transmissions, and goes away by just bumping up the throttle a hundred or 2 RPM'S. My experience is that this is more of an annoyance than a problem, but low rpm shifting is key to keeping clutches and other componenets from premature wear. Anyone have any experience or input on this issue? This the W-40 with "short sailing gear"

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2015 07:15 
Midshipman

Eliminating a fouled prop, poor alignment, bent shaft, etc...would guess it to be a worn damper plate... explains why the noise goes away as load increases amd keeps more tension on the worn out springs.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015 13:03 
Skipper

Mine died at 1 in the morning last summer in the gulf of Maine on the way to the Bahamas. I ended up changing it out for the equivalent model which is the ZF12 (made by ZF - don't use the ZF10 - it is not the same!!!!) as parts are expensive for the original and no warranty. I would recommend adding a cooler to it also, easy to do and would probably have kept mine alive, we had been motoring for 17 hours......

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 15:14 
Rail Meat

Considering this as well. Is there a drain ? do you need to pump it through the top screw ?
"Do not overfill". How to know except looking at the amount needed (which seems to be 0.44 of a quart)

http://www.foleyengines.com/resources/t ... ic-service

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016 15:23 
Rail Meat

"dip stick". right. my bad Smile

Profile Email