Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Detailed pics of rigid boom vangs wanted

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 05:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Detailed pics of rigid boom vangs wanted
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2012 09:12 
Midshipman

I'm considering installing a rigid boom vang on Dulcinea but would like to see some pics of how others are mounted; both at the mast or deck base and the boom attachment.

Thanks,

Tom
s/v Dulcinea
1984 T37 keel/cb #427

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Detailed pics of rigid boom vangs wanted
PostPosted: 06 Sep 2012 12:24 
Rail Meat

Did you get the pics you're looking for? If not, I'm heading down to our boat tomorrow and would be happy to take some pictures. Let me know.

Jack

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012 06:11 
Skipper

I don't have specific pictures of mine, but I have these two that show the vang a little. I have a Garhauer that works nicely and has enough purchase that I can easily compress the vang without the use of a winch. My main motivation was to get rid of the topping lift that would always hang up on the leach of the main. This rigid vang will still allow the boom to bounce around a bit when the mainsail is down, so I always need to use the main halyard to pick up the end of the boom and tension it to prevent the bounce. not that big of a deal since you need to stow the halyard anyway.
Attachment:
summer '09 cruise 093.jpg

summer '09 cruise 093.jpg [ 1.48 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Attachment:
summer '09 cruise 094.jpg

summer '09 cruise 094.jpg [ 1.25 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012 07:44 
Skipper

Question from a dummy: what are the advantage (benefits?) of the rigid vang? I use a "boom vang" ( 4 to 1 blocks) frequently when broad reaching or running to keep the boom from flopping all around and to flatten out the main(and to preclude an uncontrolled jibe). I can't imagine that a rigid vang can do what the block and tackle attached to the boom and to the cap rail does.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2012 10:49 
Skipper

Conch,
When I had my mainsail built, I had the sailmaker increase the roach and the topping lift was always getting hung up on it which can be a real pain when you are trying to drop your main in a hurry. Being able to drop the main and not have to worry about re-tensioning the topping lift is very nice. You're right about the fact that a block and tackle style vang will pull down the boom just a well as a rigid but the rigid will also lift up a boom while running in a light breeze, thus creating a fuller main that can really help out.
Do you need a rigid vang? no, people have been sailing w/o for centuries. Is it an improvement? I personally think that it is. Is it worth the 4 to 5 hundred (Garhauer)? depends on how much you hate your topping lift!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2012 00:41 
Skipper

conch wrote:
Question from a dummy: what are the advantage (benefits?) of the rigid vang? I use a "boom vang" ( 4 to 1 blocks) frequently when broad reaching or running to keep the boom from flopping all around and to flatten out the main(and to preclude an uncontrolled jibe). I can't imagine that a rigid vang can do what the block and tackle attached to the boom and to the cap rail does.

+1. We use the same rig. I loop the low end to our midships cleat and out the chock for combined preventer/vang duty. One of the few things that makes me leave the cockpit but it's a quick setup and easy gibe.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2012 08:38 
Skipper

I also have a Garhauer (different style) and love it. No other mod will improve sailing move that a rigid vang, outside of a folding prop and new sails. This is my second kicker, one of the things to watch for is working around the centerboard exit plate on the mast.

Plate at mast

Another very good upgrade the Harken traveler

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021 09:55 
Navigator

We are also frustrated with the boom topping lift interfering with the roach of the main.

Any recommendations on which Garhauer vang is the right fit for our boats? I looked at the ones from Forespar, but their medium vang has a minimum length of 58" which seems a little too long.

We also plan to run the vang back to the port cabintop winch. Appreciate any photos of how people have successfully done that.

Cheers.
Mike
Hotate Maru #162

Profile Email