Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Things that have died.

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 14:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Things that have died.
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010 06:06 
Skipper

Neil,
Yeah, there's a lot of potential crevice corrosion at the pintle. When you re-attach everything, make sure you have a proper bond to the grounding system so it is protected at least a little by the underwater zincs.
Also, when you replace the bolts, make sure you insist on using 316 grade stainless....I believe that the originals are only 304 grade. Make sure your bolts are welded 100% around the circumference of the bolt head. My originals were only welded on two sides of the hex head, allowing water to penetrate below the head allowing for corrosion. I took mine to a good local welder. I worked on my rudder this past spring and found severe ptting on the bolts and a little on the pivot pin. This was only after 9 years of use (I replaced the entire pintle assembly, which I bought direct from Tartan).
Cheers,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2010 16:17 
Skipper

Check out the pics of the old pintle at the end of my article on pintle replacement.

http://www.tartan37.com/T37TRC1S1.pdf

The pivot pin on mine was within minutes of failure due to corrosion. It was actually hollow. I think this is an area that deserves some attention on all our good old boats. You can get home without an engine. You can get home without a mast. But you can't get home without steering!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010 11:03 
Rail Meat

If you or the prior owners Anchor frequently add the anchor roller attachment bolts to the list of things to check. The deck and bow on Solen were fine and there were no signs of problems, as the bolt stubs were corroded in place and "looked normal" at a distance, but with a 33# anchor the last bolt finally let go and the roller felt off and is now resting at the bottom of lake Superior.

It may not disable the boat but going forward in big seas can be dangerous at times.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011 01:21 
Skipper

Here's an odd one. Since we put in three weeks ago, we've had a full bilge after a rain in the slip, and after a vigorous sail. I was diving into the line (STBD seat) locker last night and noticed that the port cockpit deck drain hose had disintegrated. The cockpit deck drains aft of the helm have a 1.5" hose running 15" down to the through-hulls. They are thick laminate fiber and rubber with a spiral of wire embedded within for structure. The port hose must have had some defect because the wire had corroded and apparently ripped apart the old dry hose throughout most of the length. So we were getting lake in from the through hull on a STBD tack, and rain in from topside when in the slip.

Meanwhile, the starboard hose is fine, though I will be replacing both. They lasted 30 yrs, they've served their time.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011 05:42 
Skipper

Thanks for the reminder about the hoses! This is a little project that's been in the back of my mind for awhile now, so It's probably time! The boat is now 34 years old......and the hose is most likely not long for this world Shocked

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011 09:51 
Midshipman

I have to replace my cockpit hoses too. They look marginal right now and I might be able to get away with another year or so but I'd hate to have a failure. I wonder if West Marine carries the correct size hose?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2011 12:54 
Skipper

Neil,
Sounds like you need a new pintle! you can order them through Tartan or have it duplicated from a local welding shop, just make sure they know stainless! The 1" stainless pin that is welded to the flat bar is made from cut-offs of a propshaft, but it sure seems to be subject to crevice corrosion. I had a local welder weld 316 stainless bolts instead of the 304 which was standard. The 316 (hopefully) will resist the crevice corrosion better. Don't forget to re-attach the bonding wire after you bolt everything back together.
Good luck,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2011 23:50 
Skipper

T397 wrote:
I have to replace my cockpit hoses too. They look marginal right now and I might be able to get away with another year or so but I'd hate to have a failure. I wonder if West Marine carries the correct size hose?

My local marine was prepared to order replacements at a crazy price per foot. I went to Ace and got some hose designed for hot tubs. It's structured but without any metal so they should last a long time. Since there's no pressure to deal with, I can't see paying top dollar for a 1.5" ID hose.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2011 10:38 
Skipper

Down2TheC wrote:
T397 wrote:

My local marine was prepared to order replacements at a crazy price per foot. I went to Ace and got some hose designed for hot tubs. It's structured but without any metal so they should last a long time. Since there's no pressure to deal with, I can't see paying top dollar for a 1.5" ID hose.

The reason they quoted you that price is probably because they were replacing what the factory put in there originally. That was wet exhaust hose which is very very expensive and lasts a long long time. Although your cockpit outlets are theoretically above the water line, this is just theoretical because in any wave action or when sailing, the cockpit through hull fittings are submerged. The reason exhaust hose is so expensive is that it is virtually oil and rot proof and has a monel wire in the casing to stabilize it. Other hoses will degrade much much faster if you happen to slop a little diesel, teak cleaner, solvents or acetone down them and from general aging of the rubber compounds in them. You may be OK if you watch it, but probably the old hoses would have been safer than if they were not weather checked. Admittedly, the exhaust hose is probably overkill, but this is not an area most of us check often. FWIW.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2011 08:49 
Skipper

Tortuga's lie, are you saying that my bonding wire which runs up to the backstay nut should take a turn on one of the nuts for the pintle? Maybe that's why that last one that the owner put in did not last that long?

Richard

Profile Email