Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - noise

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 17:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: noise
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 07:24 
Skipper

I am battling the noise issue with the W40. I have insulated the compartment with the expensive foil face sound sheets, put gaskets around the hatches, but the bugger is still quite load. One thing that I have heard about is adding a better filter on the air intake. Apparently there is a lot of valve noise that emminates from this intake and a filter will knock it down a bit. Of course you need to size it correctly to ensure the engine gets enough air........Anyone try this yet?
Tom Smile

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: noise
PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 11:46 
Skipper

I like that idea! I wonder if Westerbeke would have any aftermarket stuff or idea's. If not where would you get something like that to work?

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 13:12 
Skipper

At the Annapolis Boat Show, I asked Westerbeke that question. They said that they only have it for the newer models, but if we measure the diameter of the intake tube, we can go to a Kabota tractor dealer and buy one that will (should) fit. I haven't progressed further than that yet.
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2006 17:19 
Skipper

Ok thanks, let us know!

Richard

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2007 14:15 
Able Bodied Seaman

Foley's Marine and Industrial Engines in Massachusetts can supply an air intake silencer. The W40 is really a Perkins 4.108 and they can supply various parts that Westerbeke would charge more for. ie. Complete gasket set for engine overhaul. Westerbeke $650.00, Foleys $250.00. They even have heads, short and long blocks and Hirth transmission kits or replacements
Steve Spencer
Champagne Everyday
T37 Hull 127

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2007 06:38 
Skipper

Thanks, I'll look into Foleys. It is unbelievable how much parts for marine engines can run.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Feb 2007 13:49 
Able Bodied Seaman

I spoke with Foley's Marine and Industrial Engines yesterday and they do carry an engine intake silencer that also captures exhaust gas and oil which it recirculates to the engine. They told me it also helps eliminate the rear seal oil leak problems that seem to be a common problem with Westerbeke 40's, 4.108. You can see the units under the tech tips on their web site. Cost was around $500.00

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2007 06:53 
Skipper

I would be courious to see how an intake silencer would reduce the leakage at the rear seal. Would it have to do with pressure? Interesting....and pricey.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2007 01:21 
Rail Meat

I spent the money for the super-duper air filter after talking to diesel Dan at Folley-
he was convinced it mounts vertically. The manufacturer is sure it must mount horizontally or get saturated in blow-by oil. With several hoses in addition to an almost football sized filter- I started craving the simple engine- where one get to injectors and zincs without wrestling too many after market add ons. So it sits in a box. I should install it - see if it stops the oil leak and quiets the engine- that part sounds great. It is just that adding a monkey to the old 4108's back often seems like madness. It is an old noisy engine which is quite reliable. When I am at work, which is about all the time, I long to hear that noise.
- I'll let you know if it ever gets installed.
Kelly from Sjofn: #47

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2007 12:24 
Midshipman

I would like to hear if the air filter does quiet the engine noise.

I eliminated a lot of noise/vibrations by adjusting the valves, and aligning the engine.

I found some sound insulation online from a company called Soundown. (soundown.com) It is about 1" thick with foil on one side and adhesive on the other. Like many projects it is still in the box.

My boat came with holes through the bulkhead between the galley and the engine compartment. I plan to close these holes. Also the teak panel just above the galley sink will get insulation on the back. I think all this will help.

Jammin'

Profile Email