Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W50 oil pressure

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 04:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: W50 oil pressure
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2022 16:56 
Skipper

Clevis pin is a good solution for the gooseneck, I used a 1/2" bolt with a washer top and bottom and self-locking nut.

The Std Matrix radio with AIS is an big improvement and you really do need the VHF mic in the cockpit.

I've had several Richie SP-5s, never seen one out more than 5 degrees, verify things mounted around the compass, even under the compass. Maybe lift it out and see, how the heading looks.

Think about getting a hand bearing compass, old tool is still very useful.

My fuel gage drags, slow to drop and slow to rise. The old W50 was pretty good on fuel, maybe 0.6 gal/hr making 6.1kts. So you could have a 500 mile range. Add 30 gals, almost 750. If you back off to like 1,650 RPM and do 5.5 kts, you'll be burning 0.4 kts. That's what I remember, it's better than the Westerbeke W50 fuel chart.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W50 oil pressure
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2022 06:20 
Skipper

Thanks. I was guessing 1.5 gph, but I think only because that's what my 671 burned on the 53' stinkpot in Northern California. Wasn't really contemplating reality, too many other things on my mind. Put 25 gallons on the rail just to eliminate some port list.

I think I'm going to figure out how to put 3 or 4 AGM's behind the water heater to bring the bow up and maybe cut back my 5/16 chain to 75' to 100' after I get the Muir windlass installed when I get it home to St. Thomas. Right now there's 4 AGM's stored in that little salon locker low to port next to the water tank, and two deep cycle lead acid house and a starter in the quarter berth. She lists to port and is noticeably bow low.

The bilges remain dry even in all this rain.

I put in the gaskets for the Atkins Hoyle hatches before we left the dock in Winterport with Silaprene. What a messy f'n pain in the ass when you're in a hurry. But the Youngest determined that the 1/2" (I think) gaskets should be good for both hatches. It seemed small for the forward hatch, but it's the hatch dogs that he says are worn at the contact with the frame underneath. Actually, it's the frame that's worn - lost some aluminum over the years. He (temporarily) stuck some washers between the dogs and the hatch frame and it seals perfectly. And broke a screwdriver trying to get the dogs apart to take out some of the nylon washers to make it seal better. It's too damn cold for an open hatch right now anyway. We'll put the PB Blaster to it, heat and hammer (kidding) when we get home.

Profile Email