Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Can anyone confirm engine alarm?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 03:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can anyone confirm engine alarm?
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2022 08:47 
Skipper

Push button start, no key. Alarm goes off when there is no oil pressure at start, turns off almost immediately when engine starts turning? Triggers later for overheating water, oil or low oil pressure? I think we got this wired right, replaced the alarm at the instrument console. A lot of jumpers. Balmar doing it's thing admirably.

Not a drop of anything under the engine after 10 minutes of running at 1000 rpm. But she sucks more water than the hose can provide, so I need to get this launched and run her up for awhile.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Can anyone confirm engine alarm?
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2022 09:53 
Skipper

That’s the way I understand it to work. I switched mine to a key and electric fuel pump but yours still works from the fuel pressure switch. It also might trigger the alarm if you push the glow plug button and let it go (alarm shuts off when you reach acceptable oil pressure) but I am not sure about that.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2022 06:21 
Skipper

Thanks. Putting things back together today to launch on Tuesday.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2022 07:32 
Skipper

Yes you have it correct. The two alarms are wires to the same alarm. One for oil pressure and one for coolant temp. The coolant temp is Normally Open switch and closes when the engine gets too hot setting off the alarm. The oil pressure switch is normally closed and opens when there is oil pressure. This is why the alarm goes off when you start the motor until the oil pressure comes into operating range.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2022 07:59 
Skipper

Good luck on launching. Think you have the correct alarms, with oil and high temp. My old W50 didn't have a working oil pressure alarm, when we brought her and we had a failure. The oil to SW heat exchanger failed. Lost all the oil and motor seized. We rebuilt the motor, fixed the alarms and ran another 4,000 hrs. My problem was not replacing the head bolts/studs during rebuild, and they stretched. Had to replace the head gaskets twice. Buy a spare they are cheap, did the last replacement in an out-island in Bahamas.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2022 13:05 
Skipper

Good thing the youngest is a 12V maven. He figured out the rats nest and cleaned it all up, stuck in a Blue Sea ACR and all new instruments in the panel. Now if I can only get him to come home to St. Thomas for a week and help me finish the lobster boat to perfection.

I've got 4 AGM's that are going to be my house bank at some point, but I have 2 new deep cycle FLA's and an FLA 1000CCA starter. Damn engine fires in 4 seconds.

Anyone put batteries aft of the water heater? I'm thinking 4 agm's boxed and tied down on a glassed in shelf that will still let me get to the pintle nuts. Might bring that bow up a bit, too. Mother suggested dump the water heater, then thought better of it when I reminded her the engine would heat the water (we don't generally do docks).

I need to get the throttle adjusted on the engine. You can starve the engine to stop by backing off the throttle.

Also need to adjust the gearshift at the transmission. Neutral is slightly down on the shift lever. Jumped the hell out of me when we launched and I started to reverse off the dock. I forgot the "drive it like you stole it" mantra and tried to idle up in reverse. Folding prop made a helluva racket until I hit the gas and threw out the errant blade. I though SHIT, 2.5 years in the yard, interrupted by another refit on a lobster boat, and my tranny is screwed. So I gave it to her just to teach her a lesson and she wheeled out nicely. But the hair was standing up on the back of my neck. I need to get out of here.

Oh, and ran the engine at 1600 rpm for a half hour. Wouldn't go to 150F water temp. Oil, though, was at 65ish which seemed high. Fuel gauge works perfectly. Obviously with the funky shaped tank I'll need to figure it out a little, but she got 25 gallons and is showing over 1/2 a tank. We'll see what another 25 gallons does. Two tiny drops of coolant always show up after running. I think they come from the overflow at the cap on the manifold. No fuel leaks. I'm just amazed at the way this thing starts. Push the button and instant zoom.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2022 06:24 
Skipper

My guess is that you need a thermostat. My W50 ran at 180 and the oil pressure sat at 75psi when cruising. Last year I took the oil cooler out of the circuit. Since then, the temp creeps up (doesn’t run away) when I run above 1500 and once everything it fully warmed up, the oil pressure drops and settles in at 50psi. I’m going to put the oil cooler back this winter and see if that makes a difference. I have been through pretty much everything else and that is the one change I made before the symptom showed up. A long time ago I replaced the 4lb radiator cap with a 7lb cap and that stopped the coolant dribble. Your boat looks great. Nice job!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2022 07:18 
Skipper

New thermostat that opens at 165 (I believe). I cleaned out the oil cooler and put it back in. Boat was fresh water the 40 years of its life, so no corrosion that I could ascertain. I have hose clamps on the gallery hoses, though, and will be keeping an eye on those until I can get new high pressure hoses installed.

I can live with two drips from the manifold after each run. They are always in exactly the same place, exactly the same size. It's the only thing showing up in the pan, and I'm enjoying that.

Profile Email