Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - W-50 cutout under galley sink

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 09:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: W-50 cutout under galley sink
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2021 11:42 
Skipper

I'm assuming that this is common across the W50's. The wall between the galley sink and the engine compartment has a square hole cut out of it so the alternator can extend slightly into the compartment under the galley sink. This causes the area under the sink to get up to engine room temperatures (water lines heat up, filters etc.). The issue is my refrigerator compressor is in teh compartment under the sink as well. I'm debating whether it makes sense to put build up a box around the alternator to keep the heat out of the compartment undre the galley. I think I can do it with a 3/4 inch frame and a 1/4 inch piece of plywood. Has anyone done something similar before?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: W-50 cutout under galley sink
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2021 22:03 
Skipper

I think it might be better to move your compressor away from the engine and the heat of that area. My compressor is in the lazarette, high in the forward part where it is cooler and does not get in the way and does not get wet. It is on a shelf almost in the coaming. Having said that, I did fashion a fiberglass enclosure for the alternator when I still had my W50. I had a 100 amp alternator in there and it never overheated--even on a two year cruise through Central America where I used a lot of amperage. Mostly I closed it off to reduce the noise as part of that project. It worked. FWIW.
Ray Durkee
T 37 #373

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2021 00:52 
Skipper

I'm not sure I want to move the compressor. I'd have to disconnect the lines to move it to the starboard locker. The one I have is probably from 1995 and still works, but I'm not sure I can get coolant for it.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2021 08:36 
Tactictian

I installed a new Dometic CU100 under the sink where the old Adler Barbor system was. I made two revisions. First, I cut a hole in the bulkhead to the sail locker the size of the compressor radiator to allow cool air into the space. Second, I covered the hole to the engine compartment. I asked a refrigerant tech abut covering this hole and he wondered why anyone would want hot air into the compressor. The compressor exhaust issue is remedied by the louvered sink door which I normally keep open when the compressor is running anyway. I can report no issues with my frig running continuously all summer in the Chesapeake.

Attachments:
20201227_174327.jpg
20201227_174327.jpg [ 3.28 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 11 Jan 2021 10:47 
Skipper

If you have an old Adler Barbour compressor unit I have a couple of suggestions. Mine is at least 30 years old, has had a lot of use and is still going strong. As mentioned, where you position the compressor makes a lot of difference: As a delivery guy, I have been flummoxed by the terrible places folks have put these devices--their job is to shed heat collected from your box. Putting them in a hot place makes them work very hard. The other thing is putting a more efficient fan on them. Some of these very early units came with an energy guzzling dc motor fan. Later versions came with a minuscule computer fan. I put a larger computer fan on my compressor and put a very small computer fan in the box (to circulate the cold off the bottom where it collects. Also, put covers over the drain holes to prevent the cold from pouring into the bilge. These efforts resulted in more than a 30% reduction in power usage. I was able to freeze everything in the box in the the tropics. It makes a difference. Of course, the folks at the boat shows will not have much incentive to tell you these cheap fixes. Much rather sell you a new system.
Ray Durkee. "Velera"

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2021 01:18 
Skipper

We replaced the fan before we left. It was an old school metal bladed fan that we replaced with a much quieter and stronger computer fan zip tied in place.

Our drains are stopped up with rubber plugs so they don't let the cold air out.

I also installed a wireless bluetooth temp and humidity sensor, so I can get some data on temperatures inside of the refrigerator.

I installed a board with a small cutout for the mount of the alternator today. Hopefully it makes a bit of a difference.

Attachments:
Hole.JPG
Hole.JPG [ 44.45 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2021 08:18 
Tactictian

If your compressor is mounted like mine you need a cutout in the bulkhead for cool fresh air ingress from the sail locker. Otherwise you are just recirculating hot air under the sink and forcing the compressor to operate under poor conditions. The installation instructions for compressors are clear on this. Take a look at my picture and notice the cutout in back of the unit.

Profile Email