Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - T-37 excellent sail

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 04:21

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: T-37 excellent sail
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2012 18:40 
Skipper

A cold (cooler) front passed through here (Chesapeake Bay/Deltaville area) last night, and today I took "Aurora" out sailing. Conditions were about perfect (a little shifty and gusty in the afternoon) and it was a fine sail. There were lots of other blow boats out, and I was pretty surprised how much faster this boat sailed. I'm not a racer, and I was singlehanding, so it wasn't technique on my part: the boat just really goes. Not bad for a 40
Year old design with a relatively modest rig.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: T-37 excellent sail
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2012 06:21 
Skipper

Yes, it was a beautiful day on the Bay, we were on the lower Potomac enjoying the change in weather as well.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012 03:06 
Skipper

We just had an unexpected great sail last night too. Waves were looking a bit less than comfy but the winds were good enough that on 2/3 headsail only we were riding through them at 7.5 knots without any pounding. We're getting to that part of the season where we have to get any underway time we can and our weekends have been lame lately. Nice surprise Tuesday night run... with the exception of running soft aground getting out of the slip due to Lake MI low water.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012 16:21 
Midshipman

We just had a nice 25 mile sail on Sunday of Labor Day sailing from Manistee, MI to Ludington, MI. Winds were between 9 and 14 kts from the east (from on-shore) so waves on Lake Michigan were only 1-2 ft. I reefed the main to the first reef pt and rolled in the 130 to about 110. The boat was screaming on a close reach with only a slight heel varying between 6 and 7 knots (anemometer readout) with the gusts. Maximum speed was 7.8 kts based on the gps log. We had to sail about 25 miles and ended up sailing all but the last 2 when we had to pinch too high to make port. One of the best sails I've had on a trip (although the next day was a 45 mile jaunt and the wind clocked into the south, on our nose. Sailed the first hour and motored the last 7.

Celtic Lady, Hull #315
Muskegon, MI

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2012 08:24 
Skipper

Nice ports. We hit both on cruise this year. As one of the few Lake Michigan T37's on the forum you should consider filling in your location on your profile. I ran into a guy in Pentwater who said his wife just bought a T37. Directed them here but they haven't shown up on the forum yet.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email