Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Man or mouse?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 18:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Man or mouse?
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012 15:19 
Skipper

This is a sad tale: I was up at 5:00 this morning to take the boat from Deltaville, VA to Manteo, NC (just inside the outer banks). It had rained hard all night and was still threatening; had to pose to myself the question: are you man or mouse? I answered the former, cast off the lines and started my two day journey. Half an hour later it was pouring so hard that it was difficult breathing and the breeze was in excess of 20 right smack on the nose with a contrary current. Two hours of going nowhere in an increasing chop and I came to the conclusion that I'm indeed a mouse: it was back to the dock. What would Columbus have done?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Man or mouse?
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012 16:31 
Midshipman

Some might argue that discretion is the better part of valor, or 'live to sail another day'. Others might say, 'at least you were able to get two hours on the boat!'. It is all just a matter of perspective. I like to think the worst day on a boat is still better than the best day of work.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2012 21:05 
Skipper

I'm in Hampton Roads Area, had a race this morning and was done by 12:30 and it got ugly about 2. Not an afternoon to be out on the bay. Winds 15-20kts from the East and over 2 inches of rain. You made the right decision. After coming in, the power boat next to me was thinking of taking off and running to Annapolis MD, with wife and two small kids. Luckily we were able to talk him out of that idea. He was smart man also.

Tomorrow looks better.
http://www.fishweather.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=174&regionProductID=30&timeoffset=-1

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012 07:26 
Skipper

Why does it seem that it always blows from the direction in which you wish to go? I just took the boat from Kinsale on the lower Potomac to Aquia Creek with the wind on the nose, both coming and going.......didn't sail a lick sad Luckily, we left on Friday before the nasty stuff hit and yesterday (Sunday) was decent with no rain.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2012 09:10 
Skipper

TL, if you're like the rest of us, you have a destination finder at the top of your mast. You really need to remove this useless and distracting device from the mast so that you can go sailing. On my trip to Pensacola, this device faithfully showed me which direction my destination lay. I had hopes that it would continue to point at Pensacola on our return trip to Freeport but alas it continued to point to my destination.

In case you're lost, mine looks like this: http://www.davisnet.com/productpics/big/03150.jpg

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email