Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Epic sea story Part ... um 4? or maybe 5

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 18 Mar 2024 22:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Epic sea story Part ... um 4? or maybe 5
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2023 12:25 
Skipper

When we last left our intrepid captain, he was recovering from a surgery to his left shin. Just as he is healed enough to walk without crutches and actually turned them in to the local senior center (who loans them to people in need), I was involved in a three car collision on a two lane country road. The wife and I ended up T-boning a tree after hitting the car that started all of the action. Newer vehicles all around so everybody should have walked away from the accident. Rant EXCEPT that I broke my leg. Under the muscle flap and the not quite healed skin graft over the shin that was surgically weakened.

Orthopedic doctor doesn't want to mess with the flap and graft so I spend 4 months in casts. Fiberglass casts and fiberglass decks do not go together so not much time on the boat and definitely none away from the slip. Man, I miss sailing. Get out of the final cast and the doctor says that putting as much weight on it as I can stand will help the healing. Which is the part the wife heard. While getting out of the shower a week later, something "slipped" and it really started hurting again. I've got an appointment in two weeks so I figure I can tough it out til then. All the while, the wife is saying "put some weight on it so it will heal." Get in to see the doctor and yep, it's not healed and not joining together.

So Tuesday, April 18th, I am getting a rod in my left tibia to repair the damage done in the car wreck. Mentally, I am ready to be done with this. Financially, the at fault driver's insurance is covering the cost plus pain and suffering. Hoping to be healed enough to get together with a bunch of drunks who have a sailing problem the second week of June. And to fly down to Costa Rica at the end of June.

Having a good attitude is helpful I'm told. Well, I can still make the wife snicker by telling her I need to put some weight on it. Chuckle Anyway, the boat's ready to go. We found the main cause of water entry to be the dorades. Stopped that by painting the insides with white Flex-Seal. The stays are now bedded in butyl tape and they are dry. The heat exchanger has been cleaned with barnacle buster and the exhaust system in brand new. I have a few more items on the punch list but they are not critical until next spring so I can slowly upgrade them.

Season's open!!! Let's go sailing!!!!

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Epic sea story Part ... um 4? or maybe 5
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2023 20:12 
Skipper

Best to you. I have been sooooo lucky. Only a triple bypass, but really that seems like it was a piece of cake compared to what you went through.

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Epic sea story Part ... um 4? or maybe 5
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2023 17:18 
Skipper

Whoooooooaaaaaaaaa!!!

Surgery went well according to the doctors. Knee hurts a bit because they had to move my kneecap out of the way to drill out tibia. Post op orders are to use the leg like normal as I can stand the discomfort. Oh and by the way, go home. So yeah, I'm sitting up in bed at home with some good drugs to alleviate the pain. Back at the house 12 hours after we left for the hospital. Now to get healed and do the Pain & Torture to go SAILING!!!!! Bow Bow Bow

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email