Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Committee duty...

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 15:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Committee duty...
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2007 12:55 
Skipper

Could have gone in "Racing" but it's more of a Sea Story.

We had committee duty last night. The crew of another boat joined us on High Flight as we gathered the flags and the mark and set up. Winds N 18kts, waves... big Michigan swells at 6' close together. Took us two attempts to set the hook for the start. She finally set and we made two starts. When the last boats were in, the winds piped up and the waves were coming in odd rhythm making it nearly impossible to get the hook up. It took a lot of Westerbeke to get that hook out (not to mention some toll on my upper body)

Then we had to pick up the mark (one fixed upwind bouy, boat and an inflatable mark for the start line.)
With the waves getting bigger and sun drifting lower, we made several passes trying to hook the thing with a boat hook. Twice we hooked it only to get knocked by a wave causing the bouy to duck under the boat and come out the other side. On the last attempt, the mark was hooked, and as the two crewman worked at it the action moved aft until... you guessed it... fouled prop. Engine died right off.

It was too rough to dive on a pitching boat so we let out enough genoa to get moving and called the fleet for an assist. It was twilight and thankfully one crew was slow wrapping up. They headed out for towing duties while we reeled in the line and anchor.

The tow was thankfully uneventful. We tossed them our anchor line on the first attempt and crawled home. They left us at the gas docks to deal with our issues. By the time we got in it was 2230. The crew shuffled off to their cars while the Skipper and I tidied up some of the major foredecks mess. I really didn't want to go swimming at 2300, but after much indecisiveness, I realized it was better than going swimming at 6AM. Plus I was already soaked from the action of the night. 15 minutes of hacking and we were finally free. The boat might have some dings under the waterline from the anchor during recovery but she's none the worse for wear.

Big pain in the ass but in all, we only lost one inflatable mark (the screw slashed it up quite nicely.) And I think I owe our saving tug a keg of beer.

Bow Bow
Cheers

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Committee duty...
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007 22:18 
Skipper

last weekend...we caught not one...but two crab pots in a row. Frustrating Bow nothing like your story but I would be interested of any owners had done anything to their boats to help avoid this issue other than a cutter???? Question

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007 16:28 
Skipper

I have been fortunate cruising around the Bay not to foul on any crab traps, but we're in the lower bay and there's not quite as many as in the upper bay. I've heard of some sailors drill a hole in the lower aft portion of the keel and another hole in the skeg. They then install a stainless shackle in each and run a cable between them. The theory is to deflect the possiblity of any lines from traps/bouys from getting between the keel and rudder, Don't know if it works or not but it could help on occasion.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2007 16:11 
Skipper

Side note: During the bouy recovery attempt I needed some juice to get through the waves. At one point I gunned it passed our normal 2000 rpm cap. Had to still be under 2500 though. When I did the most awful smell emerged. I quickly brought it back down. Not sure if it was trans or Westerbeke but from other threads here the W50 should go much higher without a problem. Either way, I won't be doing that again. Checked the oil back in port and the level was fine, smell normal, just a bit dirty for so early the season.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email