Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - After a year refit, successful three week cruise

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 05:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: After a year refit, successful three week cruise
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2021 10:01 
Tactictian

Back from a three week cruise after my year long refit of #240. Very successful in that everything worked, nothing broke, and a good time was had. Cruise started in Deale, MD then to Annapolis, up Magothy River for provisioning, then C&D with an overnight in a marina, then down the Delaware Bay, around Cape May and into the ocean en route to NYC. Put the kite up in 15-20 southerly, sailed NE about 50 miles offshore, jibed and laid Ambrose Lt with the kite up. Doused kite and motored up the East River with the tide without skipping a beat. Massive white out conditions in the river as fronts associated with Elsa came in. Docked in the Bronx at my alma mater, NY Maritime College, and waited for Elsa to blow through. Then it was on to Port Jeff Harbor where I grew up to visit friends. Two nights there and off to Block Island for a few days. Dropped my first crew off up the Sakonnet River where I had arranged for dock space. New crew came on a week later which gave me time to work on the boat and get some actual work done. Then, it was off to Edgartown for race weekend. Rafted up with a Sydney 47 that I raced on. Tartan served as the mothership. Probably loaded a 1000 pounds of crap on to her for the racing. Raced three days including the Round the Island race. Epic heavy air sail through Vinyard Sound to Cuttyhunk for a few nights then great SW sail back to and up the Sakonnet. Lots of sailing and some in challenging conditions. It was a good test for the boat and I now have a better idea of what additions I want to make to her. The adventure continues later in Aug with more NE cruising, some 505 dinghy racing in Newport, and then the cruise back to the Chesapeake in early September.

Profile Email