Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - And Another 1977

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And Another 1977
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021 11:31 
Skipper

https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/d/seba ... 95268.html

Howcome I never get boats or guitars with all that beautifully figured woodwork?

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: And Another 1977
PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021 09:49 
Tactictian

It's ads like these that really make me wonder why I'm spending all this time and money on my refit. I know boats aren't fiscal "investments" but there are an awful lot of boats out there on the market that seem like really good deals. Maybe the deck of this one is soaked and I shouldn't feel so bad.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021 12:29 
Skipper

Don't get me started and for GOD'S sake don't let my wife hear you. I'd have taken it all apart anyway, though. It's what I've always done.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021 08:11 
Tactictian

I know it's often been said here that poorly maintained boats are over-valued and well-maintained boats are under-valued. I wonder how many owners actually know the extent of the issues with their boats. For instance, I know my deck is wet but I might not suspect the extent of it had I not used a moisture meter (yes, I know they can be off). Despite the boat always being covered in the winter, it's a big issue that I really dread having to fix. And, buying a boat that will be in need of re-power almost seems counter-productive unless that boat can be bought at a significant discount. I suspect that the re-power alone if done professionally with a new engine is $25K or really most of the cost of a decent T37. I don't treat any boat like a monetary investment but there needs to be some cost realism when considering purchase price, time and money for repairs, and prospective re-sale price.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2021 19:24 
Skipper

I bought my '80 Tartan knowing it was a project boat. I recently looked up my past orders on Defender.com and I've sunk $15K extra into the boat. Then came Hurricane Sally and now I'm adding to the cost some more.

Interesting story: While we were waiting for the insurance decision, the Admiral spent some time looking for a different boat to replace ours. She spent Friday night, Saturday and Sunday browsing the internet and kept rejecting everything she saw except for another 37-2 in Maine. And it had a heater that we will never use on the Gulf Coast.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email