Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - White or Blue??

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 13:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: White or Blue??
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2020 20:47 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hello everyone,

Over the last few years my boat has been receiving a bit of a overhaul.. systems, interior and now the exterior. She's been totally stripped of all deck fittings and its coming down to the wire to pick a hull colour... white or that beautiful dark royal blue you see on the new Tartans? Also, red or white boot stripe?

Please let me know what you think Cheers , Thanks

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: White or Blue??
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2020 22:31 
Skipper

I love the look of the Dk Blue. But if it gets scratch, the white will show less. Plus white is cooler in tropics. I would do white with beige deck. If in NE, would go Dk Blue, with white two stripe boot and gold cove.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020 12:07 
Skipper

With the strong likelihood of a repower coming this spring, and the attendant delays busting off, it looks like our trip to take the boat home to the Virgin Islands may be delayed to a fall, hurricane dodging run down the ditch.

As such, if I had my druthers, my dark blue gelcoat hull will get painted a much, much lighter color. Probably white. As was previously stated, if I kept the boat in Maine, dark blue all the way. But my last sailboat was dark red (in St. Thomas), which I immediately awlgripped Snow White. You need all the advantage to avoid heat you can get cruising in the southern latitudes unless you have a/c, a generator, etc., etc.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2020 17:56 
Able Bodied Seaman

Hi guys, I'm way up in the great lakes... snow bound for 5 months. I have thoughts of heading south, like every sailor does.. If I do, it will only be for a season. The current white and beige combo needs a refresh and am leaning towards the classic blue. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated. Splice

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2020 15:30 
Skipper

Look at Epiphanes paints for DIY. They have a killer dark blue. Also a couple of videos on . . . youtube. I watched a guy awlgrip in the Virgin Islands with a 9" or so wide artist's brush (italian made). Vertical strokes only. No horizontal. It flowed out neat as a pin, looked like it had been sprayed.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2020 14:10 
Skipper

I painted mine in Alexseal Flag Blue with white boot top and cove and name. Actually it has surprised me the amount of positive comments I have received .(alexseal was developed by the inventor of awlgrip after his noncompete expired)
My other choice was mid Grey with maroon trim.That would look good with maroon sunbrella.

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2020 22:10 
Able Bodied Seaman

Looks like blue is the preferred colour. I will be professionally sprayed so hopefully it comes out pristine! Couldn't risk the brush job I would do.

Profile Email