Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull #176 "Veracity"

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 00:36

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull #176 "Veracity"
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013 14:05 
Rail Meat

Greetings everyone,

I am the proud new owner of "Veracity" hull#176. She was a casualty of Hurricane Sandy and I bought her as an insurance salvage out of NJ. She was a well tended boat and the damage is superficial so everything should work out fine.

The aft section of the keel (CB) where it is hollow suffered damage as well as the rudder skeg. Functionally, there is no damage to the rudder or keel. It needs basic fiberglass work. Part of the job will be reforming the shape of the keel foil. Since most of it is gone, I don't know how it is tapered. I'd love to get some photos (side shots and close ups if available) of what the whole keel foil looks like, particularly the perpendicular line at the very back of the keel. I've seen two different renditions in line drawings - one where the angle of the lower aft corner is close to 90 degrees, and others where that same corner is tapered aft forming a mildly sloping curve angling aft along the trailing edge.

Anyway, if any of you have pix of your boat on the hard, I would love to see them. Thanks.

dt

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #176 "Veracity"
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2013 15:55 
Skipper

Hi duneman, congratulations,couple of gallons of West Epoxy and you will be ready to go !!!
I had read the sales info on this boat and it sounded interesting, hope the attached photo will help.
Just thinking,maybe it would be easy to carve the rear keel from a piece of surfboard type foam,attached to the main section of keel, as a plug,then glass over it. Looks like a fun project,keep us posted, Regards Bruce.

Attachments:
IMG_0515.JPG
IMG_0515.JPG [ 2.23 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Hull #6

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013 05:55 
Skipper

Congrats on the the new purchase! I had seen the listing for her and thought that it could be brought back with a little elbow grease.

I know of at least one boat that purposely removed this faired section of the keel since his had water penetration. With this approach, you would loose a little in the tracking of the boat but it should pivot quicker when you tack! If it were me, I would replace this fairing to keep her as originalinally designed.
Attachment:
rudder project 008.jpg

rudder project 008.jpg [ 1.52 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

click on photo to open and then zoom in for a closer look

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013 06:48 
Skipper

I have the deep fin keeled version, but it has a similar fiberglass extended keel fairing. I broke a sizable chunk off when I got thrown up on a rock by a passing cruise ship in Miami harbor. Easily repaired. I used a piece of foamcore that I laminated before joining to the existing keel. Then it was just a process of laminating and fairing it in place. I can't see that there ever was any damage. Takes some patience, but not a lot of skill.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2013 16:16 
Rail Meat

Timshel wrote:
Just thinking,maybe it would be easy to carve the rear keel from a piece of surfboard type foam,attached to the main section of keel, as a plug,then glass over it. Looks like a fun project,keep us posted, Regards Bruce.

That's exactly what I intend to do - build a form out of foam and then laminate with biaxial cloth and 6oz standard cloth. There's some other work to be done including a topside paint job, some straightening and welding of the stern rail, and replacing a section of tow rail but she's in spiffy shape other than that. Thanks for the pix everyone. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2013 04:58 
Skipper

I basically did that to repair my keel. Though I found that prefabricating one side with some glass and then fastening it to the keel temporarily with clamps and a board helped position it. I used high density filler to lay up the first layers of cloth and then faired the whole thing with low density filler. My guess is that it is stronger than the original. I do not forget now to let the yard know that it is not to be lifted by that piece.

Profile Email