Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Advice on pre-survey issues

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 14:59

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Advice on pre-survey issues
PostPosted: 19 May 2013 09:19 
Rail Meat

Hi All. We are currently hunting for the right Tartan 37 to make our own. This forum is a wonderful resource and we have already learned a great deal from all of you. We looked at a 1979 recently that overall might be a good prospect, with a few issues that we were hoping someone here might like to comment on.
On the lower quarterberth vertical wall and cabin sole area, there was substantial water damage/rot. Where might water be leaking from to cause that damage? It seems that by the amount of damage, something was leaking for a while.
Where the skeg bolts to the hull, there was a fair amount of movement and the fiberglass on the front edge of the rudder was broken. Am I correct in assuming that the pintle may need to be replaced?
There is some delamination areas in the wood near the portside ports, but not directly under or around the ports. Might that be from something leaking on the cabin top? Smile

We appreciate any input!
Bob

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Advice on pre-survey issues
PostPosted: 19 May 2013 19:15 
Skipper

Welcome aboard!

quarter berth - If it's the outboard wall, then it may be the track for the gib sheet. The sole is a puzzler. Nothing can get to that unless it drips down a vertical. i.e. we had a leak in the pilot berth that impacted the sole.

Sounds like perhaps they snagged something with their rudder? Lots of examples of rebuilding/filling rudder but the skeg isn't a common issue with this boat. The bolts are pretty straight forward though.

Leaking cabin top would usually show water stains on the overhead. Only thing I can think of near the edge would be grab rails but I think they too would impact overhead, not the fascia on the port holes.

But all that is speculation as we haven't had any of those issues.

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 May 2013 05:42 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the welcome and for your thoughts on the issues listed. We decided not to go ahead with that tartan. Still searching.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2013 15:52 
Skipper

Plenty of good ones out there. You'll find yours. And if it's not near you, I'll shuttle it for you for a cool pint. Mmm Beer
(Though if your user name means you're in Australia, I'll need to negotiate some time off.)

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2013 13:44 
Rail Meat

Thanks Down2,
No, we're not down under, Just out in the Northeast, which makes nice boats out in the Great Lakes area a little out of our reach!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2013 06:05 
Skipper

Walkabout,
Hope your search becomes successful!
Looks like there's just about a dozen listed on Yachtworld and there's one in NJ that is a Sandy victim that could be had on the cheap and judging by the photos, the damage is not too significant. The aft end of the keel broke off, but this is basically a filler that has no structural significance; the rudder may need some attention and there's some hull scratches that filling/painting, but for around 20K??? Are you handy?

There's also a few here on the Chesapeake that may interest you.
Don't hesitate to ask questions about anything you see.

Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2013 18:23 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the encouragement, Tom. We definitely are in the handy DIY category- I pulled the rudder on my previous boat and rebuilt it. We might take a look at the Tartan in NJ as well as one in the Annapolis area. We know the right boat will come along, it's just hard not having one on the mooring sad In the meantime, we continue to enjoy this forum and everything it's members have to contribute!

Profile Email