Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Tartan 37 in ft.lauderdale/miami

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 20:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Tartan 37 in ft.lauderdale/miami
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012 09:31 
Rail Meat

Hi,
I am currently in the market for a yacht and am considering the tartan 37 as a design that i am considering. I am Australian but am currently in Ft. Lauderdale looking at what is available here. I would just like to know if there are any members in the area that i could have a chat to and if possible a look on board to see what the tartans are like. There is one that may be potentially for sale that is high on my list but will not be able to have a look till late Jan unfortunately, so would like to get some info and possibly a look to see if it will fit into my plans and what I'm after.
Thanks.
Josh

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Tartan 37 in ft.lauderdale/miami
PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012 10:20 
Skipper

Josh,
I am Virginia, so I do not know of anyone down in that area but maybe someone will chime in. Anyway, you will find the T-37 in various states of repair ranging from well maintained and upgraded to rode hard and put away wet. The prices will range accordingly from say 30K to 70K+..........If you are handy and can do upgrades you might consider one in moderate shape and save some money. What I would look for, and perhaps expect from of any boat of this age, is a saturated rudder (fairly easy to repair), a centerboard hinge that may need attention, potential chain plate leaks (any boat), the fuel tank may be leaking if original, but the rest of the systems are simple and easy to work on. If the boat still has original portlights, they will need attention/replacement because the plastic really has seen it's lifespan expectancy. The rig is stout and should not present any issues though the wire may need to be replaced if it's original. The T-37 still looks relevant and can be a wonderful boat when pampered, though tight compared to new HuneBenalinas.
If you head up o the Chesapeake, there are many of us up here to gain advice from.
Happy Holidays,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2012 11:14 
Skipper

Josh,

There are several boats on the east coast of Florida. I recognize cities that are east coast but not their general area. Hopefully, one of them will want to show off their beautiful boat. Mine was sadly neglected before I got here but a little TLC and some sweat and she looks marvelous again.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2012 09:33 
Skipper

Josh: I've just sailed my T37 from Virginia to the Florida keys. I
will be down there on 2 Jan '13 for a week or so, and would be happy to take you sailing and share with you what I know of the boat. I'm keeping the boat on the island just below Key Largo, in a boat basin with limited depth of water on the approach, thus taking advantage of the relative shoal draft of the centerboard version. It's a well designed boat and represents good value IMO. 434-962-5538

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2012 19:49 
Rail Meat

Thanks for the replies. Conch i will give you a call in the next few days as i may be down that way as well.

Whats your thoughts on the suitability of The T37 to make the trip from Florida to Australia?
(know I'm asking that question in possibly the most biased place, but might as well get the opinion of crew that sail them)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2012 08:44 
Skipper

Florida to Australia? Well, there have been several T-37's that have circumnavigated, so it is certainly doable with some upgrades to the boat. The big thing is do you have time to work on her before your planned depature?
If the boat your looking at is this one:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1979/Ta ... ted-States
Then you will need to go over her with a qualified surveyor and tell him/her of your plans, he/she will recommend necessary and immediate upgrades perhaps even prioritize them for you. This particular boat appears to be in decent shape but fairly stock plus the engine has moderately high hours. She looks to have had the portlights replaced sometime in her life and she has a rigid vang and a roller furler, which is a plus. The autopilot on this boat is an older wheel pilot so you will want to upgrade to a below deck pilot like the Raytheon 6000 or the like for voyaging. Potable water on these boats is on the small side for voyaging so you will need to think about extra tankage, jerry cans or a water maker.......all are viable. You will also want to increase your capacity of propane in some fashion if it hasn't already been done.
There was a listing awhile back from Rod Stephens on the upgrades he would do to make this a true bluewater cruiser. This might be worth seeking out. I will see if I can't find it somewhere.
Cheers,
Tom

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013 10:29 
Rail Meat

Thanks so much for the replies and comments.
I have managed to have a look one of the tartans in Ft. Lauderdale, yeah its the one that was listed. Had a look more to get a feel for the design than that specific boat. That particular boat needs a fair bit of work before heading off shore however the one i was thinking of has had a fair bit more done to her to get her ready.

But, after looking at the design and the layout and feel for the boat, I dont think its what I'm after. For myself I would be after something with a but more volume inside as well as a few other things. They certainly have nice looking lines and look like they would sail really well. Just didnt get the right feel for what i was after though.

Thanks again so much for the help and comments though.
Conch I am not sure if i will get a chance to come sailing with you as i have to head up the west coast of florida to have a look at some boats around there. Thanks for the offer though.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2013 02:22 
Rail Meat

Hay mate,

Looks like I'm a little late to the party but I can tell you you'll have a hard time finding a quality blue water boat in the t37 price range. I know what you mean by interior space but when you look at the era the layout is the norm. The quality of workmanship on the tartan range is top notch.

I'm also an Aussie, live in Naples FL and purchased a t37 after a lot of research. I have many hours sailing in open water in winds to 45knots and have supreme confidence in her ability.

Good luck. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Cheers
James at wahroo d com

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2013 14:39 
Skipper

This thread has perhaps been flogged to excess, but  the following might be helpful to somebody After having sailed "Aurora" extensively on the Chesapeake and having made a six day passage offshore, I make the following observation: the Tartan 37 is a thoroughbred of a sailboat! There are workhorses and even mules that certainly have their place in the scheme of things; no one beast of burden (or boat) is best for every application. The T-37 is a light to middle displacement sailboatthat  delivers really nice sailing characteristics with reasonable comfort and cruising capability. Her broad beam midship gives a good deal of reserve righting moment and more volumn in the cabin than one might expect in a boat of this size. The boat tracks quite well broad reaching, unusual (in my experience) in a shoal draft boat. Is this the boat that one would want to do a circum-navigation? It may be that a heavier hull with more storage and tankage would appeal to those anticipating  such a voyage. For most, who use their boat for several weeks/months a year basically day-sailing, the T-37 is a superb silboat (as opposed to a motor-sailer) that is certainly up to the blue water passage.

Profile Email