Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull #208 or #209

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 25 Apr 2024 16:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull #208 or #209
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2012 21:09 
Skipper

Have sailed and raced "Puff Card", I think I have Hull #208 marked as #209. I've been sailing this '79 model for 18 years. We do all right racing non-spin in the Southern Chesapeake Bay, won today's race. Pretty good with the motor (did a complete rebuilt of the W-50 myself about 8years ago) and ok with electronics. We got hit by lightening last week and trying to put things back together, (things lost: Frig, Autohelm, Volt-amp meter, wind inst, VHF, GPS chartplotter, Voltage regulator) adding up but trying to not make a insurance claim. Don't want to lose my good boating discount. Plus I've got a high deductible and don't want a marine surveyor crawling around on a 33 year old boat, telling me what I need to do.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Last edited by puffcard on 09 Aug 2012 22:24, edited 4 times in total

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #217
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012 07:36 
Skipper

We'll get all the owners here yet! Glad you found us and good luck with the recovery.
Cheers

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2012 14:06 
Skipper

Hey there: I'm in Deltaville w/#253. where are you? Were you on board at the time of the strike? Did you have a static discharge device at the mast head? An event like that is enough to make a mariner subscribe to L. Francis Hereschoffs' concept of extreme simplicity. Regards, Doug Long

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2012 23:32 
Skipper

Thanks, we're in Norfolk, Va at Willoughby Marine. I don't have a static discharge device at the mast head, I have mixed feelings about them and the Dynaplates. Saw a boat sink in St Micheal with a Dynaplate after a lighting hit, blew a hole in the boat about the size of a baseball.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2012 05:31 
Skipper

Were your through-hull fittings OK after the strike? Do you know if it was a direct hit, or just near enough to fry your electronics?

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2012 09:54 
Skipper

I wasn't on the boat when it got hit by lightning. I've been on a boat that was hit twice in two years, that was also a bad hit. Of note that boat now has the Dynaplate and hasn't been hit again in years. My strike was the mast head, a person who lives by my boat, believes they saw it. The top half of the VHF antenna was melted off. The connector was blown off and the loading coil of the antenna is gone.

Just last year I made certain all underwater metal parts were grounded with 4 AWG. I'm going to revisit what's a proper Lightning Protection System (LPS). Might add a static dissipater electrodes and a much larger ground strap from the mast to the motor. Also may add a switch or surge suppressors in my wiring going to electronics. The hit went thru my DC ground, so it killed all things on the NEMA bus, GPS and AutoHelm. My backup GPS isn't NEMA linked and was ok. Most electronics have no circuit protection on the ground side. Right now the best LPS is to turn off and unplug everything.

I'm still looking over the boat from Mast top to keel. Just redid the standing rigging a month ago, so need to check it out. I'll let you know which way I go. Remember if you put a lightning rod up in the air, you better have a way to dump 100% of it to ground. Also lightning strikes can come for different directions, like the AC power lines, thru cable and phone lines, the water, about any way you can think. If a lot of typos sorry typing on a BlackBerry.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #209
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012 15:44 
Rail Meat

Hey Puffcard!

I am new to the site...but, I thought that I owned hull #209 1979 model T37.

'Novation' was purchased new by my father-in-law. I grew up sailing her on the great lakes and came to own her a few years ago.

Attached is a picture of her hull number plaque from above the companionway...

I would be interested to 'compare notes' with you...

Thanks!

Attachments:
novation badge.JPG
novation badge.JPG [ 681.87 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #208 I guess
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012 22:27 
Skipper

disco600 wrote:
Hey Puffcard!

I am new to the site...but, I thought that I owned hull #209 1979 model T37.

'Novation' was purchased new by my father-in-law. I grew up sailing her on the great lakes and came to own her a few years ago.

Attached is a picture of her hull number plaque from above the companionway...

I would be interested to 'compare notes' with you...

Thanks!

I'm sorry, I'm certain you have #209. I was wondering about this and looked at my Documentation on my boat and it says #208. See attached link. Type in "Puff Card" http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/CoastGuard/VesselByName.html

I sent a error correction to the fleet list.
Welcome to the boards.

Sorry for getting it missed up.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #208
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 12:50 
Rail Meat

Puffcard!

I was thinking we might have accidentally uncovered some Tartan factory mistake on hull numbering! Which would have been sort of fun...

Nice to have connected with you...Novation is getting ready to be nearly completely renovated. Hopefully starting at the end of this month.

I will keep this forum up to speed on progress.

Attached is a picture of her a few short years ago:

Attachments:
novation.JPG
novation.JPG [ 42.52 KB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull #208
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012 22:18 
Skipper

disco600 wrote:
Puffcard!

I was thinking we might have accidentally uncovered some Tartan factory mistake on hull numbering! Which would have been sort of fun...

Nice to have connected with you...Novation is getting ready to be nearly completely renovated. Hopefully starting at the end of this month.

I will keep this forum up to speed on progress.

Attached is a picture of her a few short years ago:

Well we did uncover some "Tartan Factory mistake on hull number", Here are the hull numbers from my boat with #209 both hull and plaque.

What do you guys think about this...crazy.

Hull #208, Puff Card
Southern Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email