Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Hull 359 comes aboard

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 29 Mar 2024 06:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Hull 359 comes aboard
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012 09:58 
Rail Meat

After 10 wonderful years as T-37 owners, we finally found this site. We purchased Sun Ra (our name) 10 years ago at Pilot's Point Brewer yard in Westbrook Conn. She had been on the hard for 2 years and needed some TLC. Upon reviewing a thorough survey prior to purchasing her, I asked the engineer what was the most important thing Sun Ra needed. Without blinking an eye he responded "an new owner!" Certaintly a testament to the quality construction of the T-37 since the engineer was basically saying the old girl would be fine as long as cared for. No truer words have been spoken! Many upgrades later, she sails like a charm and still is one of the most beautiful hull designs afloat. A 1965 Mustang or Corvette!

I would love to learn if it's possible to still locate and purchase the original teak seat coverings for the cockpit. Our Yacht Club hosted the 2012 TONE regional Rendezvous which was attended by Tartan's new owner and President Steve Malbasa who stated the company itself isn't producing the teak coverings any longer. However, he would entertain a custom order but cautioned what the cost would be since it would essentially be a one-off project. Has anyone had success locating a source for these covers?

Rich & Patricia Dunne
Centerport Yacht Club
Centerport New York

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Hull 359 comes aboard
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012 11:51 
Skipper

welcome...we own #358 Wink

Hull #358 "Windgeist"
Chesapeake Bay

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012 18:50 
Skipper

Greetings: I've got #253. I've taken the teak cockpit seat gratings off the boat. Guess that I'm curious why you'd want them? Guess I'd consider selling them, but shipping would be
Prohibitive. How much did the guy quote you fOr new ones? Regards, Doug long

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2012 19:01 
Rail Meat

I have hull #203 and have a set but it is missing the small section that fits forward of the starboard lazerette. Mine are in Sodus Point, NY on Lake Ontario if you are interested. And if anyone has a spare for the small section I would be interested in that just to complete the set. The PO just couldn't find where he put everything after having cushions made.

Richard on "Invictus"

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2012 18:20 
Skipper

Welcome from hull # 287. I wish you luck on your quest. We love ours but I'm not sure they are teak. The color is wrong for teak but just right for white oak. Still, making the curved seat fronts is not an easy job and requires a craftsman who knows how to work the wood.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012 07:37 
Skipper

conch wrote:
Greetings: I've got #253. I've taken the teak cockpit seat gratings off the boat. Guess that I'm curious why you'd want them? Guess I'd consider selling them, but shipping would be prohibitive. How much did the guy quote you for new ones? Regards, Doug long

Having shipped 4 wheels with tires on them, I don't think those seats would be that bad. While awkward enough to warrant freight, they wouldn't be that bad for weight.
Unless of course if conch is in Singapore or something.

Big welcome to Rich. Always good to see a new hull find us!
Tartan

SMMO/First Mate aboard High Flight #299
1981 - Full Keel - Furling Main (A boat for the lazy crew...)

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012 10:14 
Skipper

So, what are the desirable aspects (other than visual ascetics) for the teak gratings? My objections are: weight ( this boats' performance degrades quickly with added weight), the hassle of moving the starboard grate when accessing the locker and securing them when sailing and heeled. All varnished up they do look good, and the ventilation provided on the bum (especially in the heat we're experiencing now!) when seated is nice, but ??? Just curious, and I'm not in Singapore, rather in sweet Virginny

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012 14:20 
Skipper

The teak duck boards help keep you bum dry when it's wet out, but the other reason that you may want to keep them is the added seat height.....those two inches provide a comfortable position, but of course, you can always add extra thickness to your cockpit cushions. Ole Virginny is quite hot hot right now, so sailing is being down virtually right now sad

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2012 20:56 
Midshipman

We have the teak gratings as well and refininshed them last summer with the intention of putting them back on the boat for cruising season. We did a test run to see how comfortable they were and opted to leave them at home and take the "foam seat covers" for bum comfort. The gratings look great when showing the boat but don't meet our practical sailing needs on a longer voyage basis.

Attachments:
photo.JPG
photo.JPG [ 1.04 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2012 09:21 
Skipper

conch wrote:
So, what are the desirable aspects (other than visual ascetics) for the teak gratings? My objections are: weight ( this boats' performance degrades quickly with added weight), the hassle of moving the starboard grate when accessing the locker and securing them when sailing and heeled. All varnished up they do look good, and the ventilation provided on the bum (especially in the heat we're experiencing now!) when seated is nice, but ??? Just curious, and I'm not in Singapore, rather in sweet Virginny

On our boat the teak covering the starboard lazerette hatch is hinged. I open the lazerette by grabbing the latch. We remove the seats when we aren't using the boat. The hinge pins have a length of string attached and are easily removed by pulling the string.

Profile Email