Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Ready to buy. Any common issues?

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 19 Apr 2024 15:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Ready to buy. Any common issues?
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012 12:52 
Able Bodied Seaman

Right now I`m a day sailor from Muskegon, MI, but soon to be a cruiser. Have found two serious prospects. I`ve been doing a lot of reading and asking around and am so ready for this that I feel like a kid before Christmas. I now have the faith. Just wondering if there are any common issues that I ought to be looking for in a 30 year old T37? Besides differences in gear, rigging and sails, what else will prove important to me? Grateful for any heads up suggestions.

Scot

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Ready to buy. Any common issues?
PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012 13:17 
Skipper

The main issues that seem to be common with the T-37 have to do with the centerboard and the rudder. The rudder will be saturated and will need a re-build if this hasn't already been done but it is an owner doable repair if you are half-handy. The centerboard may/will have crevice corrosion issues at the hinge assembly, again, owner repairable. The centerboard may have isues of swelling due to the iron core rusting a bit...I say maybe because this does not seem to be a universal thing.
If the rig has been over-tensioned, there could be a little deflection (very slight) of the hull outward of the head, but I have only noticed this on one T-37 and read about it on one more.
Apart from those model specific issues, any 30 year old boat will need some degree of TLC if the previous owner(s) haven't done due diligence.
The T-37 seems to be well constructed as far as the fiberglass work and hull to deck joint and bulkheads. I have had mine for 17 years now and spent a lot of time upgrading and crawling around the boat and can tell you that these are well built boats, maybe not to Morris standards, but not too far down the ladder.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012 16:50 
Midshipman

Tortuga's Lie wrote:
The main issues that seem to be common with the T-37 have to do with the centerboard and the rudder. The rudder will be saturated and will need a re-build if this hasn't already been done but it is an owner doable repair if you are half-handy.

Is there any test that can be done on the rudder to see if it needs to be rebuilt? While the boat is on the hard I want to try and work on any issues that might pop up in the foreseeable future.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2012 17:27 
Skipper

With the rudder, I new that when we bought the boat, the rudder had moisture issues. I waited and waited until I though I couldn't wait much longer. Since I knew there was water in there, I drilled a 3/8" hole at the bottom of the rudder thinking that "what harm could it do, it was already saturated. When we hauled the boat each year, the water simply drained out and that way I didn't worry about expansion due to freezing.

Two years ago, I bit the bullet, dropped the rudder, cut her open, discovered all sorts of nasty, including mussles, worms and general stink...but no corrosion on the stainless steel structure...I was OK. The re-build process was straight forward: clean out all of the old foam, re-glass weak areas, epoxy resin areas of water ingress, re-foam, re-glass and correct anything on the pintle, paint, launch, drink a beer!

As far as detecting what's going on? You could use a moisture meter but if you tap the rudder with the butt end of a screw driver and if the sound is dull, you may have water. If the sound is sharp and solid sounding, maybe OK. If you drill a hole at the bottom of the rudder and water comes out, you have a saturated rudder. I kept my hole open knowing that water would make it's way back in even if I filled the hole with epoxy and that I would need to drill the hole back open when out of the water. As far as the stainless is concerned, I am afraid the only way to know what's going on is to expose it........cut it open.

This past winter, I re-built my cousins T-30 rudder, but this time, I had to re-construct the entire stainless structure, rudder post, tabbing et al. This was a 1976 boat, so 30 to 36 years is a good run for these rudders before a re-build.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012 09:23 
Able Bodied Seaman

Thank you, Skipper!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2012 09:23 
Midshipman

Thanks for the information about the rudder. I'll check it out in detail when I get back to the boat.

Like many of you guys on the forum, I'm sure, I've been watching the Volvo Ocean Race (http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/home.html) and can't help but think that with all the repairs and upgrades I have planned for this off-season that if I only had a large and well supplied shore crew that could work as fast and as competently as those guys do I'd have Stella Blue back in the water in bristol condition in no time!

Profile Email