Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /var/www/vhosts/tartan37.com/httpdocs/t37forum/common.php on line 88 Tartan37.com • View topic - Aspiring T37 owner

Tartan37.com

Tartan 37 Owner's Forum - Ride the wind, but look good doing it!
The time is 28 Mar 2024 11:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please mention if you're in the Association or PM Down2TheC.

Post subject: Aspiring T37 owner
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012 14:38 
Rail Meat

Hi All,
I'm considering buying a T37.
I've read a few reviews and looked at a lot of listings. The Practical Sailor review has got me confused about is the ground tackle setup.
Is there an anchor rhode locker forward of the vee birth? Or do you have to stow your rhode in a cockpit locker?

There are a couple other boats I'm also considering (Bayfield 36 and Esprit 37). If anyone wants to compare/contrast any of these I'd welcome the info.

Thanks much and hope to see you on the water (when it gets a bit warmer)

Profile Email  

Post subject: Re: Aspiring T37 owner
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012 15:52 
Midshipman

My 1984 T37 has a forward anchor locker accessed from a hatch at the Vberth and a hawse pipe on deck. It's large and can easily hold gear for two anchors.

The Esprit 37 was on my short list but try to find one without excessive blisters.....I couldn't and didn't want to go through the time and expense of blister repair; very nice design though.

After a short season with our T37, I'm very happy both with support I find here and with the boat. I was particularly pleased to easily outrun on all points of sail a friends new Beneteau 34 with what I thought was a much faster hull design AND maxprop vs. my two blade fixed.

Best of luck in your search

tom
T37 keel/cb #427

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012 16:56 
Rail Meat

@curriernh, Thanks for the reply.

Here's the quote from the Practical Sailor review that prompted this post:

"Surprisingly, there is no foredeck anchor well. This means that an anchor must be stowed in chocks on deck, if one is to be readily available. Then, you must face the problem of anchor rode storage. Molded foredeck anchor wells are becoming almost universal in modern boats. While the weight of anchor and rode--about 65 lbs. in a boat this size--might be objectionable stowed all the way forward, the convenience of such a system generally outweighs the increase in pitiching moment that might result. Removing the ground tackle from the deck also reduces clutter and tow stubbers, and simplifies foredeck work."

There was one time that if I'd been unable to quickly deploy an anchor I would have had to pay for the repairs on the outboard of J24 which didn't belong to me......any additional comments are welcome.

Thanks,
~Brandon

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012 19:26 
Skipper

Sounds like the Practical Sailor writer is used to smaller boats. My anchor is 45# plus about 80# of chain plus whatever the 250' of rope weighs and I'd hate to have to replace/remove it from the bow every time I use it. I think most owners have a bow roller and either own or lust after a windlass. There should at least be a hawse pipe on the fore deck to get the rode into the chain locker forward of the v berth. If a boat you are considering has no anchor roller it's a pretty simple project to install one.

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2012 22:28 
Skipper

The Bruce rides in the bow roller with the 50 feet of chain and 100 feet of rode in the rode locker.

Lusting for a good manual windlass after dragging all that chain off the bottom in three foot seas.

My solar panels barely keep up with the reefer and the instruments so I don't want an electric windlass.

Sorry about that. Mutual Aid call from another fire department.

Subservient to no man except SWMBO
Any day without dock lines is a GOOD day!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012 07:19 
Skipper

Stoomy,
I really like the Bayfield 36, but I believe that you'll find the Tartan to be much faster and responsive, but the Bayfield does have nice traditional lines. As far as the anchor locker is concerned, the locker itself is quite large, I divided mine in two for a primary and secondary anchor. I had an existing hause pipe and one roller and I installed a second roller and an electric windlass (love it!). What Practical Sailor was referring to was the lack of a deck-accessible anchor hatch that you open from above to expose the anchor rode etc.... I personally do not like that set up and prefer the neat arrangement that I have on Tortuga's Lie. [img]
Attachment:
IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0683.jpg [ 1.2 MB | Viewed 0 times ]

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012 12:56 
Rail Meat

@All, thanks for the info!

Profile Email  

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012 20:11 
Able Bodied Seaman

You are looking at a great boat. So what makes it great?

1. It sails very well in ALL kinds of weather.
2. The "ride" is as good at you will get it in its relative weight class 37'/15.500#
3. It sails itself when you get to know your sail trim
4. The keel/centerboard works very well - and its perfect for traveling to new places (no one dredges every year)
5. The interior layout has great traffic management - you can get out of each others way: chart/galley/sit/sleep

Not so good?
a. Backing up under power sucks
b. Strong resale means you will not be able to upgrade and get your money back (but you will have a great boat) - so buy it to keep it.

What to do:
(x) Make sure you get an independent surveyor, these are old boats
(x) Buy a good one, forget what you paid, and go sailing

Profile Email